The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Rust Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsubishiown

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 11, 2012
Davison, Michigan
Today was a pretty disappointing day and still pretty upset by the discovery today but just going to have to learn how to do some body work. Luckily there is a ton of information on this subject and the info doesn’t really have to be car specific although I now have found a couple well documented rust removals from this forum. Going to use this to catalog the long process. If anyone has tips let me know! I was aware of rust but didn’t think the pinch welds were nearly as bad as they were and they collapsed when being jacked up. Also removed the side skirt to find it was eaten through on the drivers side, haven’t checked passenger side yet. So I believe my plan is going to be to go through it with a wire brush to see what’s salvageable and whatever isn’t I will cut out and attempt to weld in new sheet metal for the rear wheel well area. Not sure what to do with the pinch weld yet. Here are some pics.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Someone in Michigan on the parts trader was selling a stripped out 2g shell for $50 you might want to look into it, I didnt see any apparent rust on it.

So no clue what I’m doing really but went and bought a course wheel to remove paint and rust and went to town and once again much worse than I thought. Trying to stay positive though, it’s now turning into a learning opportunity to learn how to take care of rust properly and do some body work. With that said not really sure what to do about the pinch welds being bad or the wheel well. I’m thinking find one at a scrap yard with little rust and cut out the wheel well and side skirt area as well as the pinch weld and then weld it back in?

Brings back memories. I have repair pics in my build thread if you want inspiration, altho mine was no where near that bad.

The good news is side skirts will completely hide the repair, so the repair doesn't need to look perfect.

Man do I hate rust

Yeah it’ll be an interesting process for me. Took out the seats and carpet today to make sure the floor pan is fine and there’s just a little rust on some bracket thing on the drivers side floor board and then the drivers side rear seat panel looks like it got wet at some point. Going to just clean the floor and maybe just use a rust converter on the rust.

Just cleared out the passenger side and the only issue on this side is some panel came up when I took off the sound deadner and it’s rusted underneath it pretty bad. Recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back