The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rough Running and Misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatcatpaddy

Probationary Member
Jun 7, 2012
Napa, California
Hi, I have a 95 Eagle Talon that I just bought. I received it with a blown head gasket so I had the head refurbished and replaced with a new head gasket. It has always had a really hard time idling and is hesitant to rev. I put my had over the exhaust and its obvious that the car isn't firing correctly, and there is the smell of unburnt fuel. I took my code reader (phone) and this is what came up: Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

End of report.

I looked on the forums and thought it was the crankshaft position sensor so I replaced it with a new one, the car still runs horrible, any help would be great!

Start with the simple fixes then work your way down the line, check your plugs and wires first off, a rich smell most often means obviously that all your fuel is not being burnt. One fouled or miss gaped spark plug will do this produce this smell. Are you sure your timing is set correctly, this will also lead to misfire. Do a leak test as well.

Just narrowed it down to weak spark from cylinders 1 and 2, makes no difference at all when i remove those 2, I also swapped the ecu with a spare I had laying around, and swapped coil packs, same thing, any other suggestions?

Yeah the Cam Angle Sensor. The reason I say is because after my swap my car would
Misfire at cruising speeds or taking off speeds. It was loose and I tightened it up and it went away.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back