The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Reverse light wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryndon

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Bulgaria, Europe
Long story short, the reverse lights weren't coming on ('97 AWD Talon). I noticed the reverse light sensor was completely broken and disconnected, so I got that sorted but still no change. Checked bulbs and connectors, but they were good as well. An electrician who is a friend of mine came around with a nice voltmeter and he tested the wire from the sensor plug that goes into the fuse box for continuity, but there was none.

My questions are two. Is there a specific relay/fuse just for the reverse lights, or none at all? And secondly, does anyone know how exactly the reverse light wires run through the car back to the bulbs? Worst case scenario would be running entirely new wires to the back, but I'm not sure how to go about this as I'm very bad with electrics/wires.

Thanks in advance!

Interior fuse box, position 3 (third from the left, top row), 10 amp fuse. Wiring runs from your ignition switch, to the fuse box, 10 amp fuse, to your reverse switch on the transmission, to the lights.

I dont know the exact wire routing, but could look it up in the electrical FSM if required.

From the FSM, page 195. Just as greddy_1700 points out.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks a lot for the responses! I have both FSMs so maybe I should have looked at them first. I'll first check that 10 amp fuse as I didn't know there was one and work my way up from there. Hopefully it's just the fuse!

I bet it is. It's a very simple circuit. Power from the ignition thru the fuse to the backup light switch then out to the rear backup lights. :)

Especially if the wiring was broken / disconnected, its very possible that the the circuit shorted, blowing the fuse. Let us know if you figure it out.

If all the wiring, fuse, and power are ok, did you/someone recently have that switch out? It MUST have a washer (0.037" thick) under it or it won't operate properly. Sometimes people forget to put it back on or use the wrong thickness. I'd recommend removing the switch (after first testing the other things I mentioned) and press the plunger in/out by hand with key on to see if lights work. If they then do, suspect the washer.

If all the wiring, fuse, and power are ok, did you/someone recently have that switch out? It MUST have a washer (0.037" thick) under it or it won't operate properly. Sometimes people forget to put it back on or use the wrong thickness. I'd recommend removing the switch (after first testing the other things I mentioned) and press the plunger in/out by hand with key on to see if lights work. If they then do, suspect the washer.

When I first discovered this issue the first thing I did was replace the switch itself (which came with a washer, same thickness). I installed it as per recommendation, hand-tight and a tad extra. We did double check the switch afterwards by pressing on the plunger like you say, but that didn't seem to have any effect. Hence why I'm thinking it's part of the wiring from the sensor to the reverse lights themselves. I still need to check the fusebox though, so I'll report back when I do so!

I bet it is. It's a very simple circuit. Power from the ignition thru the fuse to the backup light switch then out to the rear backup lights. :)

UPDATE! Sorry it's coming so late but I kept delaying this simple check :ohdamn:. Anyway, like you said, the 10Amp fuse for the reverse lights in the cabin was completely missing, so I used the spare one on the cover. I believe my reverse lights now work as a person helped me check and she said only the right one comes on. So at least the circuit works somewhat. I will have to further investigate what the issue is with the other bulb not coming on.

Also, for some reason, putting this 10Amp fuse in made my SRS light go away, so that's one less dash light to worry about!

Thanks again all and I will make sure to update when I fix the left light. :idontknow:

Glad the circuit is working now. Check the bad bulb for just being burned out and you should be good!

Woah, I'm 2 years late to this but I just managed to fix the left reverse light as well, so now both lights work as they should. I just never came 'round to fixing it earlier.

Just to give this thread a closure, what ended up being the problem (besides the missing 10Amp fuse as already stated), the left reverse light's ground wire was not making good contact with where the bulb sits. It's a little cylindrical looking thing where the bulb locks into. I took that out, sanded it down and made sure it was pressed back in with the ground wire making good contact with its surface. Put everything back together and lo and behold, I've got BOTH reverse lights finally working!

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back