The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

[RESOLVED] leaking oil on timing belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTURBOGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2004
niagara falls, New_York
so I dont know much history on my talon i just picket up its a 95 tsi used to be auto now 5speed I was told was rebuilt as it has perfect compression 205 across the board any ways i didnt look into the car as much as I should have but recently I touched the the timing belt a the feeling of oil glazed my finger so Im trying to determine where the leak is comming from
I knew the valve cover gasket was leaking bad so i replaced that and doesnt appear to be leaking from the top half of motor. So i take a look underneath and clean off all the oil and took it to work and came home and looked undearth the next morning and appears to be leaking between oil pan and lower timing belt cover which seal is this ? and there is a very small puddle underneath the car of oil prob little bigger than half dollar. But the actuall motor is looking any oil when i check it. Just wondering how safe it is to drive with the belt being like it is and me not knowing the history on it the belt is a little frayed on the side but not alot also i touched the inner part of the belt and i dont feel any oil resdue as I did the outter smooth side of the belt.

Also Ive never done a timing belt job and I dono if i should just 6bolt swap or what to do i have about 1000 Dollars to spend thanks for your input sorry might be alot of jibersh its 3am:rolleyes:

I dont think the oil pan would cause it to leak on the timing belt LOL

Could also be the front crank seal. The only way to find out is to pull the timing belt cover off and see where all the oil is accumulating from.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back