The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] heavily damaged spark plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92-eagle-talon

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2008
edmond, Oklahoma
Ok, So my car is running like shit. I pulled the spark plugs and the plug from the number 2 cylinder is all mangled. WTF ? It is bent, and chewed up real bad. there's probably about
1/8 inch of it just torn off. What would cause this ? Is my engine trashed ?

Most likely yes.

I doubt that the plug was directly hit by a piston, so if you're sure it's mechanical damage and not tuning damage or a foreign body in your cylinder, you most likely smacked a valve with the piston and broke off the valve head. Which in turn would have hit your plug and also munched like an Ethiopian at a buffet on your piston and combustion chamber.

Just a guess.

Nothing that's supposed to go through a cylinder will cause mechanical damage to a spark plug. You've ingested a fastener, or a valve face has come apart, or some similar disaster. The engine will probably need to be torn down.

Any time you have spark plug damage caused by something physical(not tune related) you will be tearing that engine apart, or you can just have a 3 cylinder.

you guys are right, that's probably what happened. When I first bought the car the timing belt shredded. After I replaced it the engine had a rattle/knocking noise at idle. The noise would go away when rpms were raised. That noise was probably a piece of valve floating around or something. Well, I guess this ends my dsm journey. I'm selling the talon and buying another honda. Sorry guys. Maybe one day when the time and money are right I will get another dsm, preferably a 1g talon/eclipse awd turbo.

Ah. Always nice to get the rest of the goddamned story. I suppose there was no need to mention the thing had already been broken.

Good luck with the Honda.

Quitter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back