The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink (RESOLVED) ECMLink - No CombinedFT, AirflowPerRev, and Always Closed Loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Help, i'm trying to dial in my car but have issues with the follow:

1.) CombinedFT is always 0
2.) AirFlowPerRev is always 0
3.) The car never goes into Closed Loop
3a.) The o2 sensor is new
4.) I can't dial in my idle, I assume the first 3 are more important to get right first

See the screenshot and logs attached

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 116
  • log.2018.08.01-02.elg
    622.2 KB · Views: 49
So first:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wa...r-receive-no-replies-from-the-wisemen.443297/

Second,
Post an actual log from ECMlink. This is much more helpful then a CSV file because we can see your settings.

Based on what little info you gave:

The car doesn't care about CombinedFT since it is in open loop.
You have to figure out why the car won't go into open loop. Could have something to do with the airflowperrev being 0. I believe that is calculate doff of MAF and RPM signals. One must be messed up. Most likely your MAF since the crank position sensor (generates RPM) fialing would men the car wouldn't run.

Do not dial in your idle in open loop. the changes don't affect anything since it is just using the open loop lookup tables.

So first:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wa...r-receive-no-replies-from-the-wisemen.443297/

Second,
Post an actual log from ECMlink. This is much more helpful then a CSV file because we can see your settings.

Based on what little info you gave:

The car doesn't care about CombinedFT since it is in open loop.
You have to figure out why the car won't go into open loop. Could have something to do with the airflowperrev being 0. I believe that is calculate doff of MAF and RPM signals. One must be messed up. Most likely your MAF since the crank position sensor (generates RPM) fialing would men the car wouldn't run.

Do not dial in your idle in open loop. the changes don't affect anything since it is just using the open loop lookup tables.

Thank you, I will work to get the car out of open loop. I have an extra MAF I will install to see if it fixes the problem.

I have attached ECMLink Logs

Attachments

• log.2018.08.01-02.elg
    622.2 KB · Views: 64
Yes, I would definitly look into the MAF and it's wiring
In addition, here is some info found from the wiki,
The following must be true for a full 5 secondes so the ECU can go into closed loop operation
  • Throttle position too high (varies by RPM)
  • Airflow too low (units are tricky, but it's very low)
  • Coolant temp < 51F
  • Coolant temp > 228F
  • The O2 sensor did not switch around 0.5v for over 128 seconds while running in closed loop mode. In that case, the ECU locks itself in open loop mode
This is what I would do first according from your log;

Your car doesn't look like to have a working idle switch, it's also told to simulate it from the TPS but it's not adjusted well enough.
Rotate the TPS untill you achive 0,63Volts or use the TPS adjustement tool from ecmlink to correct this

It's also looks like the car is running way too rich, so I would try to lower the MAfComp sliders a bit around the lower 0-50 hz just to help a bit

Lastly if the above doesn't work, try changing the openloopthresolds from the direct acces tab
Your Loadfactor is very high, at 1000-1200 rpm your are seeing 0,88
The ECU will force open loop fuel control if LoadFactor remains above it's limit for 20 seconds, wich is 0,78 in those ranges!

Last edited:
Yes, I would definitly look into the MAF and it's wiring
In addition, here is some info found from the wiki,
The following must be true for a full 5 secondes so the ECU can go into closed loop operation
  • Throttle position too high (varies by RPM)
  • Airflow too low (units are tricky, but it's very low)
  • Coolant temp < 51F
  • Coolant temp > 228F
  • The O2 sensor did not switch around 0.5v for over 128 seconds while running in closed loop mode. In that case, the ECU locks itself in open loop mode
This is what I would do first according from your log;

Your car doesn't look like to have a working idle switch, it's also told to simulate it from the TPS but it's not adjusted well enough.
Rotate the TPS untill you achive 0,63Volts or use the TPS adjustement tool from ecmlink to correct this

It's also looks like the car is running way too rich, so I would try to lower the MAfComp sliders a bit around the lower 0-50 hz just to help a bit

Lastly if the above doesn't work, try changing the openloopthresolds from the direct acces tab
Your Loadfactor is very high, at 1000-1200 rpm your are seeing 0,88
The ECU will force open loop fuel control if LoadFactor remains above it's limit for 20 seconds, wich is 0,78 in those ranges!

Steps Taken
1.) I now have my throttle 0, and my TPS voltage .63. I had to raise my deadtime to 275 to make this work.
2.) I changed my MAF but it didn't do anything, I will check wiring this weekend
3.) My ISC is about 1 year old, should be good. Twisting the BISS all the way in still didn't make my idle go under 1k. I think it may be my alternator going bad, its charging less than 12v now.

Next Steps
1.) I will change my alternator, looks like the new one i put in is going bad
2.) After that I will do the rest of the stuff mentioned above.

Thanks for your help!

You should verify with a multimeter that the coils in the isc are still good and the pluger of it is still working like it should
If it's correct, you may be suspecting a bad vacuum leak, can be found using a boost leak tester

Good luck!

Ok I figured it all out, when i uninstalled the SAFC that was in the car when i bought it I didn't put the Airflow MAF wire back into pin 90. Once i did that, changed the alternator, and put a new temp sensor on, the car hopped into closed loop at ran like a champ!

Take a look at the attached log

Attachments

• log.2018.08.05-02.elg
    545.2 KB · Views: 62
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back