The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Replacing struts/springs quick questions, where is Jtoby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IIv SHaDoW vII

15+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2007
Topeka, Kansas
I need to know the torque specs for the suspension (I am assuming every bolt will have the same torque level).. The instructions say to refer to the manuel but I cant find it. Also.. Since I am a noob on suspension.. is there any autoparts store stuff I need to/should buy when replacing the struts/springs? I was told I should buy liquid wrench to avoiding seizing the bolts.. and was also told I need to buy some lubricant..Any info on what kind of lubricant or a brand would help too.. Available to me, I have OReilys, Autozone, NAPA, and AdvanceAutoParts. Thanks

If your going to buy all new struts and springs than there is not much left that you can replace. I doubt that the car has much if any rust on it, but the boot that the strut connects to that than conects at the top of the tower have a tendency to rust out so you could also replace those but I doubt it is needed. As for liquid wrench also known as anti-sieze is what your looking for. It will keep the threads from rusting and seizeing in place and allow for easier removal neaxt time your working on them. Both are cheap and can be found in most auto stores.

The torque specs are not the same throughout the suspension. They are in the Haynes manual for sure, its what I have used so far for torque specs on my car. If you need me to look them up I can do that for you.

You would only need to know the top strut mount and the lower mount.

If youre shocks and springs are already assembled, you have a very easy job on your hands. Just lift the car and take the struts out.
If not, look into a spring compressor and some PB blaster to soak the bolts.

The torque specs are not the same for every bolt and are listed in the Haynes manual. Buy some PB blaster and I'm assuming you have a torque wrench. I had to get a long 17mm socket wrench, have my torque wrench on the ground holding one side and I had to stand on the socket wrench to take the front bolt off.

If your going to buy all new struts and springs than there is not much left that you can replace.

That is not always the case. The rear isolators (the soft rubber looking thing that goes directly under the spring) on my car were so squished I had to get new ones. You may want to look at the condition of all your bushings and bump stops and replace them if they are cracked or disintegrated. If you are installing lowering springs, you'll need to cut the bump stop as specified in the instructions on the springs. Look at the bushing on top of the rear knuckle too (2Gs), these seem to go out faster than all the bushings. If the shock mounts are rusted, you may want to replace them too. The only other thing left is the dust cap, if it is cracked and doesn't serve its purpose anymore, replace it.

All I got to say is a breaker bar is a must. And maybe that may not be enough. Hope your big

+1

If youre anal retentive, replace all the bolts and tap all the threads. You wouldnt believe how nice that is to work with. :thumb:

Thanks for the replies guys. Ok, so no lubricant?
Also to answer a few questions, Yes I have a torque wrench and the suspension is already here. Its Tokico Hp blue struts with tokico springs (red).. I know about the bumbstops needing cut, that is in the instructions. I guess I will wait and see about the condition of all the old parts then when I get down there to replace them.. As far as you looking up the torque specs for me. That would actually be great. Thanks guys

Well air tools for one are a must. I never would have been able to do mine if I didnt have them. Also some kind of spring compressor. You can rent them from Autozone for not that much. And yes, LOTS of PB Blaster and Anti Seize EVERYTHING!!

Front suspension:

STRUT

Upper mounting nuts 33
Damper rod nut 47
Strut to steering knuckle bolts 221

STABILIZER BAR

Bracket bolts 33
Link nuts 33

CONTROL ARM
Clamp to body bolts 60
Arm to clamp bushing nut 73
Pivot bolt nut 80

Rear Suspension:

REAR STABILIZER BAR Clamp bolts
95-99 84-120
2000 and later 33
link nuts 28

SHOCK ABSORBER

To body nuts 32
lower mounting bolt/nut 71
Damper rod nut 16
Trailing arm to body bolt 109
Trailing arm to knuckle bolt/nut 94
Upper control arm to knuckle bolt/nut 72
Upper control arm to bracket pivot bolts/nuts 41
Upper control arm bracket to body bolts 71
Lower arm to crossmember bolt
95-99 71
2000 and later 80
Toe control arm to crossmember bolt
95-99 71
2000 and later 55
Toe control arm balljoint nut
95-99 20
2000 and later 80
Rear hub to knuckle bolts 60

I suppose I went a little overkill but I had my manual out anyways so I just thought I'd list everything it had for the suspension :)

By the way my Haynes manual is for all 95-01 models so...

Wow man I am in your debt.. Thank you so much Im printing this out now.. Really! thank you! I think the guy that is helping me has an air ratchet...not positive though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back