The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Removing motor and leaving tranny in car questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njdaewoo

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2009
Piscataway, New_Jersey
I Did a search but did not find a answer. Is it a common thing to remove the engine and leave the tranny in the car? I have a 5sp gst model and I dont really feel like messing around with the axles and hub bearings if I dont have to. For those that have done this, was it a real hassle putting the motor back in with the trans in place?
Thanks....
Corey

I've done it this way before. It was actually pretty painless but definitely more footwork. What I did was pull the head, took everything off timing side (pulleys, crank sprocket, timing tensioner and arm) to create as much clearance as possible between the timing side and the frame. With a little bit it luck, you can do it easily. I dropped mine down onto a creeper and used an engine lift to lift the front of the car up enough to slide it out. Just take your time.

I was thinking when you take it out, The upwards pulling of the engine hoist is causing the belt side of the engine to tilt upwards and the trans side to tilt downwards. :hmm: I believe that would cause the easy out... If I had a floor jack jacking up the trans so that I could get the same angle as when the motor came out. I'm thinking :aha: that just might do it.

I was also hoping :pray: one of you guys would have said thats the way it should be done and it works perfectly every time. LOL.

So if you had to do it all over again would you pull the trans with the engine or do you think what i described above (angle the bell housing side of the trans upwards) would do the trick?

Pull them both out. TRUST US ALL! Haha.

I didn't take off my trans because my axles were a bit seized inside the hubs, and boy do I WISH I had taken both out. Easy out for sure. But the BIGGEST PITA HOLY SHIT GODDAMN headache to put it back in.

Pull them both man. Seems like less work to take on the motor, but it only SEEMS. :banghead:

Pull them both out. TRUST US ALL! Haha.

I didn't take off my trans because my axles were a bit seized inside the hubs, and boy do I WISH I had taken both out. Easy out for sure. But the BIGGEST PITA HOLY SHIT GODDAMN headache to put it back in.

Pull them both man. Seems like less work to take on the motor, but it only SEEMS. :banghead:

ROFL exactly LOL!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back