The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rebuilding my engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGST90

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
Ok, my block is at the machine shop and when I get it back I want to assemble everything myself, can someone tell me every single thing I will need for my rebuild ( Gaskets, certain type of head gasket, oil pump..ect) Its a 1990 GST 6 bolt engine. Thanks everyone

Ok, my block is at the machine shop and when I get it back I want to assemble everything myself, can someone tell me every single thing I will need for my rebuild ( Gaskets, certain type of head gasket, oil pump..ect) Its a 1990 GST 6 bolt engine. Thanks everyone

First off what are your hp goal? This will determine a few things on your list.

From your post I am guessing this is your first 4G63 build. I would see if you could locate someone in your area that has built these motors to help guide you. It is really not all that hard to assemble one, just somethings that need to be absolutely spot on. Be mindful of your tolerances as you will be dealing with tolerances less then the thickness of a typical piece of paper. Keep your work area clean and document everything, for future reference.

In my opinion i would get, FULL engine gasket kit, MLS head gasket (then sell the one that comes with the full gasket kit), Oil pump, Water pump, Timing belt kit (timing belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley), ARP studs. Then after that everything else (pistons, rods, etc) is up to you and what your goals are in terms of HP.

Oh yea and if this is your first engine build then take it REALLY slow.

First off what are your hp goal? This will determine a few things on your list.
Right now, im just getting it back running. Im putting in oversized OEM pistons. I would like to get around 300hp...for now

In my opinion i would get, FULL engine gasket kit, MLS head gasket (then sell the one that comes with the full gasket kit), Oil pump, Water pump, Timing belt kit (timing belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley), ARP studs. Then after that everything else (pistons, rods, etc) is up to you and what your goals are in terms of HP.

Oh yea and if this is your first engine build then take it REALLY slow.
Oh ok. The machine shop is assemble the short block and installing all the gaskets for the block. Since they are doing that, would I still need the full gasket set?

It wouldn't hurt to have a full set this way you know for sure you have everything. with a goal of 300 a mitsu mls head gasket with regular arps will be sufficient as far as head gaskets go. Regardless of what head gasket you use it very important to tune for no detionation for this is what ruins a head gasket. I would recommend that on your bottom end use oem gasket from my experience they are of better quality. Stock 2g pistons/1gbig rods combo will be another option at you desired power levels the machine shop will need to machine the 1g rods to accept the pins of the 2g pistons. Also make sure you use the metal intake manifold gasket from the dealer not the paper one from autozone.

Oh ok. The machine shop is assemble the short block and installing all the gaskets for the block. Since they are doing that, would I still need the full gasket set?[/QUOTE]

Make sure they are actually going to be doing the entire short block. Most machine shops assembling of short block just include, file fitting and installing the rings, installation of crankshaft, installing the pistons into the block and installation of the balance shaft elim kit. not the front cover or the rear seal and oil pan. Just double check.

It wouldn't hurt to have a full set this way you know for sure you have everything. with a goal of 300 a mitsu mls head gasket with regular arps will be sufficient as far as head gaskets go. Regardless of what head gasket you use it very important to tune for no detionation for this is what ruins a head gasket. I would recommend that on your bottom end use oem gasket from my experience they are of better quality. Stock 2g pistons/1gbig rods combo will be another option at you desired power levels the machine shop will need to machine the 1g rods to accept the pins of the 2g pistons. Also make sure you use the metal intake manifold gasket from the dealer not the paper one from autozone.

Oh ok. The machine shop is assemble the short block and installing all the gaskets for the block. Since they are doing that, would I still need the full gasket set?

Make sure they are actually going to be doing the entire short block. Most machine shops assembling of short block just include, file fitting and installing the rings, installation of crankshaft, installing the pistons into the block and installation of the balance shaft elim kit. not the front cover or the rear seal and oil pan. Just double check.[/QUOTE]
Alright, appreicate it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back