The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Rebuilding head checklist

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys, cars got 87k on it. Comp came back 150-145-130-130, its burning a little coolant as well. So im pulling the head, what all parts do you think should be replaced?

Here is the list from the vfaq... but is it all necessary? The car doesn't have that many miles for being a 99.

MD182295 Balance Shaft Belt

MD326059 Timing Belt

MD129355 Timing Belt Idler Pulley*

MD156604 Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley

MD115976 Balance Belt Tensioner

MD164533 Timing Belt Tensioner

MD972052 Water Pump

MD178430 Power Steering Belt (660)

MD186126 Alternator/Water Pump Belt

MD376608 Crank Pulley

All new belts of course, but was thinking the pulleys would be ok, new headgasket (duh), apr headstuds, and new waterpump. What you think?

Well first off you did well by checking the compression. What i would do is take your head to a machine shop and get it resurfaced and have them check and see if your valves are good. they should be considering u have "decent" compression. Next i would get a new head gasket do not reuse that one it could cuase you problems in the future. I would consider doing a balance shaft delete as well, its def worth it.

MLS headgaskets are the best you can buy IMO, you just have to make sure both block surface and the head MUST be completely flat and they will hold as much boost as you can throw at them... Or ffwd has a copper headgasket and it has a o ring Around the combustion chamber to really help seal things up. But once again you will wanna get both surfaces machined flat.!

if you dont have the block out the car you cant get it decked to have that perfect machined finish
not sure how much that will matter

you can always use a Mitsu composite gasket and then you wont have to worry about have a perfect mating surface and will still hold a decent amount of boost with head studs

Run an OEM composite gasket with copper spray. No problems at all running these.

As for what you listed I would replace these:

MD326059 Timing Belt

MD129355 Timing Belt Idler Pulley*

MD156604 Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley

MD164533 Timing Belt Tensioner

MD972052 Water Pump

I would get the balance shaft elimination kit and only replace the power steering and ac belt if they are torn since they are easily accessed.

DO NOT RUN A COMPOSITE HEADGASKET!!!

OEM MLS is the head gasket you want to run period.

u dont need a new pulley unless the rubber is cracking apart

everything else on your list is a good idea to change

also taking your head to get checked out by a machine shop is a good idea

why have to do the job twice if your head is also bad

Cometic HG is good I've seen specials for them from our supporting vendors. Props by checking the vfaq before asking. Balance shaft elimination is an excellent first mod. Save up those beer/pops cans, since MI takes returns. :D

Cometic MLS Headgasket is great.

However you can run a SCE Titan MLS headgasket, as long as you actually follow the instructions, its the benefits of an MLS without the need for all the machine work.

Definitely do a balance shaft delete, makes timing belts way easier to do, and also much less chance of having a timing belt failure if your balance shaft belt would break.

I'd also suggest while you have the head off if you have the money, picking up some cams/springs/retainers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back