The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rebuild turbonetics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D@nno

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 20, 2002
ReginaSK
Hey guys, turbo took a crap the other day. I was doing a 4 gear tuning pass and let off the gas then the cloud of smoke started. Lots of blue smoke! Checked the turbo for shaft play, and sure enough there is some up and down but none in and out.

Its a 60-1 hifi with a stage 3 turbine wheel. I beleive it has the 360 thrust bearing.

Can turbonetics turbos be rebuilt using the standard t3/t4 kits out there?

Not sure what caused it yet, it is oiled through a -4 line from the filter housing and a -10 drain. Can excessive oil pressure destroy the journal bearings?

Hey guys, turbo took a crap the other day. I was doing a 4 gear tuning pass and let off the gas then the cloud of smoke started. Lots of blue smoke! Checked the turbo for shaft play, and sure enough there is some up and down but none in and out.

Its a 60-1 hifi with a stage 3 turbine wheel. I beleive it has the 360 thrust bearing.
Sounds like the brand new Turblownetics 60-1 my buddy had on his car for something like 147 miles before it died...only it died bad and couldn't be rebuilt.

Can turbonetics turbos be rebuilt using the standard t3/t4 kits out there?
Absolutely, just don't use the 270* thrust plate in your turbo.

Not sure what caused it yet, it is oiled through a -4 line from the filter housing and a -10 drain. Can excessive oil pressure destroy the journal bearings?
Too much pressure without the ability to drain properly will absolutely wipe out your turbo.

Here's some good reading on the effectiveness of your -10AN drain:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tur...turbo-users-your-oil-drain-may-too-small.html

If you're taking on the task of rebuilding on your own, follow my guide:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...rcooler/316421-t3-turbo-rebuild-part-1-a.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...rcooler/316422-t3-turbo-rebuild-part-2-a.html

I used a PTE 6031E in the tech article which is identical (and equally unreliable) to your 60-1.

Sweet thanks for the info. There are some 360 thrust rebuild kits on ebay i think i will buy. I will tear the turbo down before ordering it though to make sure it is rebuildable.

What should i be checking for in terms of damage. Obviously wheel and housing damage but what about shaft and center housing?

If the shaft play on the turbine side is REALLY excessive, the turbine seal lip will actually rub into the center housing until it rubs away to nothing. This is precisely what happened to my buddy's 60-1 that rendered it un-rebuildable.

Here's a new TD05H turbine. Notice how defined the turbine seal lip is in this photo:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here a HX35 turbine that came from a customer's turbo that was run with shaft play far too long. Notice how the turbine seal lip is nonexistent:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Otherwise, excessive wear on the compressor backplate is common on these turbos.

It seems Garrett doesn't want to get with the program and offer a replaceable oil sheild like Mitsu and Holset which can be replaced at the time of a rebuild....they'd rather make the oil shield built into the compressor backplate so when the turbo develops excessive play, the compressor seal collar mows down a $150 aluminum backplate instead of a $10 oil shield. Way to go, guys. :applause: :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info, this is some great stuff to know!! Unfortunatly I was able to have a closer look inside the compressor housing today and found that the wheel is in bad shape most of the fins are bent and some are missing chunks. New turbo time I guess.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back