1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

GVR-4 Rebuild TD05 16G problem

Posted by galant_martin, Aug 13, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. galant_martin

galant_martin Probationary Member

Joined Aug 15, 2013
    Austria, Europe
    Hello

i just bought an turbo and had to replace the compressor wheel, turbine wheel &shaft and the bearings. Bought all parts balanced and used the old locknut, I used lube to assembly it but now if i press on the any of both wheels i can feel it moves in/out. Very minimal but i can feel it. i have no feeler gauges, i would say its not even an half millimeter or 0,02". It has minimal lateral shaft play but i read its normal without oil pressure.

I never rebuild a turbo befor so i dont know, is that normal or did i anything wrong?

Thank's

2. Steve93Talon

Steve93Talon Proven Member

Joined Jan 20, 2005
    Philly Burbs, Pennsylvania
    Did you replace the thrust collar/plate and bearing or just the shaft bearings?

Drag Race Build 820  24

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    369.5 whp · 403.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM

2K  7

1993 Eagle Talon TSi
    11.784 @ 115.120 · 1G DSM
  3. galant_martin

Joined Aug 15, 2013
    Austria, Europe
    Everything is new.

4. Steve93Talon

Steve93Talon Proven Member

Joined Jan 20, 2005
    Philly Burbs, Pennsylvania
    Then it sounds like an incorrectly machined turbine shaft or thrust part. Take it apart and assemble the thrust parts to the wheels/shaft and see how much play there is.

Drag Race Build 820  24

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    369.5 whp · 403.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM

2K  7

1993 Eagle Talon TSi
    11.784 @ 115.120 · 1G DSM
  5. galant_martin

Joined Aug 15, 2013
    Austria, Europe
    I noticed a thing while I assembled it. If I put the turbine shaft in, the thick part of the shaft comes out a little bit of the bearing under the thrust spacer. So the thrust spacer doesn’t lay flat on the brass bearing. If I insert the thrust plate and press it flat in the Char the shaft goes out a little bit.

I forgot to make pictures but I try to make them today. It was late yesterday..

6. Evolution2vic

Evolution2vic Probationary Member

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    Okinawa, California
    Can you actually put pics and maybe a video link?? like record it and upload it to youtube and after we see and possibly get a solution you can delete it. Just a thought, i rebuilt my turbo and literally had no play other than turning. i would take it apart and look up a youtube video called how to rebuild a turbo and type td05 and dude does a pretty good job doing the job and explaining. here is the link:
    hope this helps dude give me update if this worked.

71  1

1994 lancer evolution 2
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution