The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Rear trunk liner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Nothing exactly world beating and it’s probably been covered before.

But what’s everyone done or seen done for the rear trunk floor of a 1G? I don’t have a spare or I’d just put a piece of board and carpet over it. I don’t really want to get in to cutting floors out and etc. I’ve been going over plans in my head of just building a floor out of wood or something and carpeting over it but I’m curious what others have done to make it more OEM looking back there.

Pictures and thoughts welcome.

I kept my donut and carpeted the floor around it. Looks decent when there’s no other clutter.
If I was attempting what you described, I might use some stacked layers of rigid “blue board” insulation, with holes cut to fit the hump. Each layer with a smaller hole. Each layer is 2”, so might need 3 layers worth. Light weight and strong against a spread load.

I kept my donut and carpeted the floor around it. Looks decent when there’s no other clutter.
If I was attempting what you described, I might use some stacked layers of rigid “blue board” insulation, with holes cut to fit the hump. Each layer with a smaller hole. Each layer is 2”, so might need 3 layers worth. Light weight and strong against a spread load.

Now this is what I’m talking about! Seems like it might help vibration and noise too with not having carpet back there.

Like an idiot when doing "weight loss" wayyyyy back when I tossed all that stuff but somehow managed to keep the OG carpet.

I have been planning to build a false floor out of some light weight aluminum L supports and such and then cut a piece of CF to fit back there. Maybe make it quick release or at the very least an access panel to the fuel pump area. I need to get on that, along with a bunch of other stuff LOL

Just wondering exactly what y’all are talking about, did these cars not come stock with the donut a piece of board and carpet already? Cause mine still has all of this and with the little platform that raises when you open the trunk?

I can’t find it in my screen shots anymore (think it was from Facebook), but someone suggested building one with carpet and a wood product from Home Depot.

I did a quick search, I’m pretty sure it’s called hardboard. It’s 1/8” thick and slightly flexible.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sounds similar to masonite, which is about what the original is made from. Kind if a sturdier version of cardboard.
The “luggage room” as it’s called in the factory parts manual, was all removed for lightness (presumably, for a total of practically nothing pounds) by a previous owner in many cases, and then lost to the four winds. I think very few dsm owners are the original owners of their cars, with a few exceptions. So we have to move forward with the way we got them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back