The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Power Trunk Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atuca

Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2007
Central Valley, California
I thought I read this somewhere before, but I would love to make my trunk power release. I'm not looking for a all out auto lifting hatch, but a power actuator that would release the hatch as if I pulled the level on the ground.

Now I thought I read that basicly any power trunk car can be a donor for this conversion, but I really don't know. Has anyone done this mod, and does anyone know what all you think would be involved. I already got a second trunk latch mechanism to play with along with some of the stock wiring.

My main reason for doing this mod is.. open hatch with aftermarket car alarm remote :) I was originally thinking weight savings by not having the cable running all the way to the back of the car for the manual latch, but I imagine the weight of the actuator would outweigh any benefits of running a 22 gauge wire back there.

GOGO comments!

Its really not difficult at all. I'll leave the electrical wiring up to you as it depends on your alarm. I installed mine so I can still use the manual level to release it.

This is where I installed the trunk release solenoid. It fits perfectly under the plastic trim piece.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is how you attach it to the factory release cable. Its a little hard to see but it isn't all that tricky. I installed a rubber tube over the solenoid cable to keep it from rubbing on the electrical cables.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I hope this helps you some. It was a much easier job than I thought it was going to be.

What hardware did you use? from what car? Will any power trunk car work? Was it really as simple and sending a switched 12v wire to the rear and that was all?

I always thought it would be easy enough, but just didn't know any specifics.

It's doable because I have a remote release already on my car with my viper alarm. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how it's done on my car, as I wasn't present for the install of the alarm system. It did have to use the existing cable though in my case which means my lever no longer works. In order to open my trunk I need the remote or a key.

Wish my installers had given a bit more thought like ltuspe though :)

What hardware did you use? from what car? Will any power trunk car work? Was it really as simple and sending a switched 12v wire to the rear and that was all?

I always thought it would be easy enough, but just didn't know any specifics.

You don't need anything from a donor car. Go to an car electronics shop (Best Buy, etc.) and get a trunk release solenoid kit like in my picture. You should get the solenoid, a curved metal mounting bracket with two screws and a cable clamp. You'll also want a relay to trigger the solenoid. Wiring the solenoid depends on your alarm but basically you're going to ground one terminal of the solenoid and the other terminal gets a +12v trigger from the relay which is attached to one of the AUX outputs from your alarm.

It's doable because I have a remote release already on my car with my viper alarm. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how it's done on my car, as I wasn't present for the install of the alarm system. It did have to use the existing cable though in my case which means my lever no longer works. In order to open my trunk I need the remote or a key.

Wish my installers had given a bit more thought like ltuspe though :)

In a prior life I installed hundreds of these damn things.... I did the same thing to the fuel door. That one was just as easy.

Just be sure you guys are using a relay to power the solenoid. Most alarms use a low current negative output to trigger aux channels. If you try and use this circuit without a relay you'll likely burn up that channel on the alarm.

I have a '89 Buick Regency or something for a winter beater, high class in it's time:cool: It has the electric release but it also has the electric close. When you close the trunk it latches but the latch is raised about a half inch when opened. After latching shut, it's fully close by an electric motor that pulls the latch back down. On the Buick the Latch is in the trunk-lid and the "D" ring(can't remember the right name but you know) is on the car, opposite of what 1g's have. The electric closing motor raises/lowers the D ring. I would like to fab this option into my car, I hate having to slam my hatch to close it.

I have a '89 Buick Regency or something for a winter beater, high class in it's time:cool: It has the electric release but it also has the electric close. When you close the trunk it latches but the latch is raised about a half inch when opened. After latching shut, it's fully close by an electric motor that pulls the latch back down. On the Buick the Latch is in the trunk-lid and the "D" ring(can't remember the right name but you know) is on the car, opposite of what 1g's have. The electric closing motor raises/lowers the D ring. I would like to fab this option into my car, I hate having to slam my hatch to close it.

You shouldn't have to slam the hatch. I can set mine down and just put some pressure on the hatch. It just clicks shut. :cool:

Something might need adjusted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back