The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Custom trunk layout

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tfitch90

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2011
Bowie, Maryland
Ok does anybody know of anyone who does trunk layouts in MD. ? Im putting 2 kicker l7's (square shaped) and 1 1500 watt kicker amp. Hope I dont rattle anything loose and cause damage.

Id put them in a ported box, probably about 5 cubes after sub and port displacement. Its going to take up most of your rear hatch area and it's enough to rattle some stuff loose, but its not going to do much damage with only 2 12's and 1500 watts.

You got subs and you arent going to put them in a box? Even if you use fiberglass, youre going to want a box around the subs. You got the wrong kind of subs if you want to use them free air.

Those are Solo-baric subs. They work best in small, sealed boxes. You only need 1.5cuft per sub for nice low, tight bass. Build yourself a 3.5 cuft box and put both in there. You will have 3cuft after subtracting the space the subs themselves use. You will cause damage to vehicles beside you!!

I ran 2 L7S12s on a 1500.1.... Amazing bass! I made a fiberglass sealed just like rec above, and used the spare tire well as most of my volume.

I ran 2 L7S12s on a 1500.1.... Amazing bass! I made a fiberglass sealed just like rec above, and used the spare tire well as most of my volume.

Now just think of how loud it could have been in a properly sized sealed box or a properly built ported box for them.
If you used the spare tire as most of your box volume then you probably could have been just as loud as one of them in a good box.

Its all in the box OP, i wouldnt just throw a box together if you care about how it sounds or how loud it gets.

Sealed box for sound quality and ported for loud low quality bass.
Either way it is your decision.
I'm not sure but since you were asking about a custom box, I thought I'd share this one from e-bay.
Custom Eclipse Sub Box Speaker Enclosure 90-94 1g | eBay
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
T&S Customs in Frederick does awesome work. They do just about everything but specialize in audio stuff. If you go tell them Dean sent you and they will hook you up.

instead of trying to fit the biggest you can get... get the smaller sub with a better punch... those l7s are nice but their RMS is low as well as the amps.

for that price you can get your self one mtx that coould blow those away.
that way you have more room for better air space usage.
not baggin on you just offering diff routs.

i put one 10 dual coil sub with 500 rms watts and amp to match and i blow most pair of 12s on the scales every time. building a box is not hard.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/384578-show-me-your-battery-relocation-pics.html

Now just think of how loud it could have been in a properly sized sealed box or a properly built ported box for them.
If you used the spare tire as most of your box volume then you probably could have been just as loud as one of them in a good box.

Its all in the box OP, i wouldnt just throw a box together if you care about how it sounds or how loud it gets.

:rolleyes:

I didn't build the box; The car was sponsored by a audio shop that promoted Kicker products. The entire trunk was 3/4" M.D.F. and fiberglass, housing the 2 L7s; A 1500.1, 800.2, and 800.4 amps. I'm pretty sure they did their homework and made everything to spec.

Not to mention I wasn't running just any old daily system, the vehicle was equipped with a Fujitsu Eclipse unit running 8+ Volt pre outs to a Fujitsu line inverter to conform the I.E. (L+/-) to single channel standard RCA's to work with the Kicker amps, 6.5" kicker components in the kicks, kicker 8" mid bass in the doors and Kicker 6*9s in the rear deck.

I am pretty sure this system has much higher SQL they anything you have ever put together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back