The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rear slides out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmpat95

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2008
Savannah, Georgia
My issue right now is my car steps out on the rear.(slides a bit) This mainly happens when on throttle or letting off.
I'm hoping for a easy solution to fix this. The front stays planted really well. My mod list is up to date.

It feels like I'm not building enough heat in the rear tires.

As to the trailing throttle oversteer, STOP LIFTING!

If you really have power-on oversteer in a FWD, then you have the most messed up suspension and/or alignment settings evah! What are they?

My issue right now is my car steps out on the rear.(slides a bit) This mainly happens when on throttle or letting off.
I'm hoping for a easy solution to fix this. The front stays planted really well. My mod list is up to date.

It feels like I'm not building enough heat in the rear tires.

Is it like a slide out? How far? Or is it hop in the rear end? Does it do it to one side only?

As to the trailing throttle oversteer, STOP LIFTING!

If you really have power-on oversteer in a FWD, then you have the most messed up suspension and/or alignment settings evah! What are they?

My alignment is on this link http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/429243-my-gst-seat-time.html

It does't step out as bad under throttle. I can manage it pretty well.

My tire psi was 36 front and back.

Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in.

Front left------------------Front right
Camber -1.8-------------Camber -1.8
Caster 5----------------Caster 4.2
Toe -0.02------------Toe 0.01

Rear left-----------------Rear right
Camber -1.2------------Camber -1.2
Toe 0.07------------Toe 0.06

I don't like the rear toe-in, but I see absolutely nothing in your suspension or alignment that would cause a FWD to oversteer under power. If that's really happening, add some more rear camber, I guess. And check the rear shocks for smooth movement when you get a chance. This is a stumper to me.

It feels as if I can not get enough heat in the rear tires, I don't have a way to tell temp. When I check the temp in the rear with my hand they were no where close as the front. I chalked my tires front and back and it seems to be riding across the tire well.

Then again it could be the driver, me.

Rolling into the throttle is important, so if you're stomping, try to stop. A lot tires do need some heat to work, such as R-S3s and Kumhos in general, so that can be it, too. That raises the option of running different tires at the two ends, such as R-S3s in the front and StarSpecs in the rear, for streets. That's not unheard of, but is a bit extreme.

Rolling into the throttle is important, so if you're stomping, try to stop. A lot tires do need some heat to work, such as R-S3s and Kumhos in general, so that can be it, too. That raises the option of running different tires at the two ends, such as R-S3s in the front and StarSpecs in the rear, for streets. That's not unheard of, but is a bit extreme.

Could tire pressure change help. I just bought these kuhmo xs for this season. Don't want to buy more if I have to.

And stomping into throttle I can fix, I'm guilty of doing so.

Back when I used to autox a 2GNT, I would be constantly spinning out in corners. At the time I didn't know why the rear was so loose!

But as I gained experience I discovered that the problem was ME, not the car. I was holding the brakes on while turning into the corner. The weight transfer made the rear of the car light and it would snap around on me.

I bet this is your problem Pat. Try doing all your braking in a straight line, then get off the brakes before you turn into the corner.

Try doing all your braking in a straight line, then get off the brakes before you turn into the corner.

Maybe try this^^^. But definitely drop the pressure in the rear tires. You're losing valuable contact area with the pressure that high. The rear end is so light it can get by with much lower pressure.;)

Maybe try this^^^. But definitely drop the pressure in the rear tires. You're losing valuable contact area with the pressure that high. The rear end is so light it can get by with much lower pressure.;)

Back when I used to autox a 2GNT, I would be constantly spinning out in corners. At the time I didn't know why the rear was so loose!

But as I gained experience I discovered that the problem was ME, not the car. I was holding the brakes on while turning into the corner. The weight transfer made the rear of the car light and it would snap around on me.

I bet this is your problem Pat. Try doing all your braking in a straight line, then get off the brakes before you turn into the corner.

Thanks for more insight. The braking could be it also.

I don't like the rear toe-in, but I see absolutely nothing in your suspension or alignment that would cause a FWD to oversteer under power. If that's really happening, add some more rear camber, I guess. And check the rear shocks for smooth movement when you get a chance. This is a stumper to me.

Are you trying to say that there is too much rear toe in, or that you do not like toe in in the rear? I'm guessing the former but I'm sure you'll set it straight.

Definitely pay close attention to the course if your doing at Hutchinson there is a lot of " slick" spots in that area but definitely lower your tire pressures try a few runs at low 30's and possibly run a bit more negative camber in the rear

Are you trying to say that there is too much rear toe in, or that you do not like toe in in the rear? I'm guessing the former but I'm sure you'll set it straight.

I like zero. I found rear toe-in to hurt rotation and increase snap-spins. Might be just me, tho'. I also like turtles.

Sorry. I made an unwarranted assumption. I like zero toe, but I rarely drive over 60 mph. (Any faster and I won't see the turtles.)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back