The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rear LSD Install Gone Wrong - Axle Clip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinzon

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
A couple of weeks ago I managed to procure a LSD rear differential from a 1995 Eagle Talon I ran across in a junk yard. Today I finally got around to attempting the swap.

Everything went remarkably well until it came time to pop the axles back into the rear differential. No matter what I tried I could not get the axles to seat correctly into the diff. It seems to me that the little C-shaped retaining clips on the end of the axles are holding it up from sliding in completely, and I managed to somehow bend the clips in the process.

Is there some sort of technique here I'm missing?

Block of wood and a 5lb dead blow hammer from harbor freight.

Thats what worked for me. The clip will compress against the axle and will slip in. Thats why its a bi*** to get them out.

if you bent the clip replace the clips before using the wood and beating them in otherwise you could end up with a broken clip in the rear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

The axles are from the donor Talon. I'm aware They are different between LSD and non-LSD.

I'm heading out to the dealer tomorrow to buy some new clips ( LH MB160387 [this is the same from LSD to non-LSD according to ASA], RH MB393859), so I will not be trying to reuse the bent clips. Where exactly should I whack it with a hammer? The little metal ring around the cup that covers the differential side seal comes off easily (I managed to knock it off pushing against it by hand) and if you whack from the end it seems the joints absorb the blow.

I was thinking about removing the knuckle all together, instead of just removing everything but the upper control arm bolt, to give me a straight shot reaming it into the diff.

If you put a little grease on the clip, it will help hold it in the middle of the axle instead of letting the clip drop down and catch going in.

If you put a little grease on the clip, it will help hold it in the middle of the axle instead of letting the clip drop down and catch going in.

You, sir, are a genius. I'll have to give that a try. Can I just use standard, multipurpose grease? Mitsu won't have my parts until Tuesday, so I'll update the thread with the results later in the week.

Also, it seems the part number I listed above was superseded, the new part number for the RH limited slip axle clip is mb896917

use any kinda petroleum based grease . also u said the clips are the same , why not use the clips off the old axles ?

Success! I used a couple of hand vices to bend the clip back into the correct shape and then used some multipurpose grease to hold it in its little groove on the axle. I completely removed the knuckle to give me a straight shot into the diff and then reamed it in a couple of times before it finally slipped in all the way.

I drove the car for about 20-30 minutes, beating the hell out of it in the process and all seems to be fine. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm happy to have my DD up and going again. :)

Oh, as an aside, is there an easier way to get fluid into the rear differential? The rear sway bar and trunk floor obstruct easy access. I've had to use a turkey baster with a hose attached to the end and doing it that way SUCKS. Luckily I filled the diff before installing it and only had to replace what leaked out through the side seals.

Have a friend fill a funnel with a long clear hose attached while you watch the differential fill from below. Or use a fluid pump you can buy at the parts store. Neither one is very fun.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back