The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rear Diff fill plug stuck...suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM91

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 21, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Anyone have a suggestion how to either fill the diff or remove the plug? I can't get the plug out for the life of me to put new fluid in. It is currently about the size of a 23mm, but no sockets or wrenches will fit. I tried hammering on a smaller size socket, but that didn't work. Vice Grips are worthless, they just tear the metal apart on the plug. The impact was a joke, and nothing else I've tried is worth a damn. (I'm a little pissed if you can't tell LOL

I guess the biggest question would be is it ok to fill the diff through the hole for the axle? I see no other way around this problem.

Thanks in advance.

I just finally installed the 4 bolt I've had laying around for a year, and as soon as the car rolled forward a few feet the diff exploded. So, I just killed an expensive 4 bolt diff and now the 3 bolt isn't cooperating. Worst luck ever :)

Man I'm such a noob. See ya'll at the shootout.

I did not remove the fill plug FIRST because I was going to junk the 3 bolt diff anyway. However, if you read my first post, you would see that the 4 bolt diff nuked itself after I installed it. I therefore had to go back and install the 3 bolt again.

Anyway, the issue is resolved. I just poured the Redline in through the axle hole and all is well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back