The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Rear diff grinding, drain/fill plugs wet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Fort Hood, Texas
I replaced my trans/t-case/rear diff fluids all around the same time in July last year. Filled the rear diff with Redline 75W90. Used new copper gaskets on the fill/drain plugs.

Que to last night, I had just fixed my rad fan issue and pulled the car out to cruise it around the block since it has been a while since it moved. Upon pulling out of the driveway and starting to creep down the road, I heard this loud grind noise coming from the rear end. I thought at first maybe it was the brakes or something, but the noise didn't go away as I got maybe 50 feet down the road. I did a 3-point turn to go back to the garage and it was louder while moving in reverse. I eventually got it back to sitting in front of the house. Got a flashlight and noticed fluid had dripped/puddled here and there(where I stalled a few times, my shifting is all jacked up right now). It looks like orange flakes in a puddle of water. I touched it, smelled, no smell to it. Literally feels like water. 75W90 is orange. Wasn't anything under the hood leaking, but the rear diff plugs were visually wet. So they are obviously leaking, but how? I feel like I missed something. A first test with a socket the plugs feel tight and wouldn't budge. My garage floor is clean where the car has sat for the better part of a year. I am yet to remove the drian plug to see if there's anything left, I just want to know how this could have happened.

Maybe a bad seal behind the yoke or the cover
Everything else looks dry. Just the plugs look wet.

If the floor is clean it isnt leaking. You sure it isnt just brakes youre hearing? And that probably is just water.
If it really is just water, why does it have obvious orange substance in it? I know it wasn't there before I pulled the car out.

If it is the brakes, why does it make a louder grind in reverse?

I drove the car to turn around in the cul-de-sac and then backed it into the garage. Didn't notice anything leaking or puddling along the road. There was some orange leaking underneath where it sat in the road, but it almost looks to be in front of the rear diff, which doesn't make sense (probably just my bad depth perception).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back