The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ready for 4G64T

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydsm-

Proven Member
Nov 8, 2013
Aruba(Island), Central_America
after reading and reading and lots of google-ing I'm getting prepared to boost my 1996 Eclipse Spyder 4g64 , I have most of the parts waiting for me to buy them. Here are some of the parts that I have, please let me know if i'm missing anything
MHI 20G Turbo
Turbo Exhaust manifold
DOHC Head & Intake manifold
Greddy type s BOV
Intercooler
Straight pipe turbo back
turbo fuel rail
450cc injectors
turbo timer
resistor box
cometic headgasket
arp headstuds

What I know I need:
Walbro 255lph
O2 Housing & O2 sensor(the spyder gs doesnt come with a first O2 sensor just one close to the cat)
Galant timing belt & sprockets
Knock sensor(No idea how to wire one, i saw a 'how to' guide somewhere..will search for it)

Now a BIG question:
Can I use my stock ecu and just buy a S-AFC & datalogger? as described in the http://4g64.150m.com/ website
I cant afford a standalone ecu or dsm vlink, eprom ecu etc
Or can I buy a used GST ecu from ebay, but wont that be trouble because I have a 2.4l not a 2.0?
And another Question: Do I need a new engine harness? because if im not wrong the camshaft position sensors on the dohc are different plugs etc

Sorry if these question have been allready answered.. ive read so much i might of forgotten stuff :ohdamn:

Last edited:
The safc will do fine just make sure u have a data logger and a wideband. How much boost are you shooting for?

And if you're using the 255 pump you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Honestly you could go with a 190 pump then you wouldn't need an afpr.

I wouldn't get an MLS gasket unless you're planning on getting both the head and block resurfaced! Just run a felpro composite and the ARPs. You'll be fine!

I'd skip the Greddy BOV and get a 1g BOV. Unmodified I believe it holds around 20psi without leaking. Mine is crushed and dodge modded and holds 40psi!

You need a turbo ecu and something to log with if going the safc route, plus larger injectors (660cc max.)

I am aiming for 10psi of boost.. that is why I am doing the head swap, OR can the SOHC handle 10+ psi? If it can I wont go through the trouble of the dohc conversion..

Ok so guys do I NEED a turbo ecu+safc+datalogger or im allright with a stock ecu+resistor pack+safc+datalogger?? Getting confused here
And im getting a good deal on the greddy bov thats why im buying it

The old 4G54B SOHC 8V that resided in the Conquest, in it's turbo form, handled quite a bit of boost from that large monstrosity of a 4cylinder, just didn't get the HP out since it was so undernourished in airflow.

Why would he need a turbo ecu to run a safc? Ive ran the afc on a saturn honda and ive seen it being used on a 3g. Also for 10 psi I think 660s would be over kill with a safc tune I would go 550s. And he could probably get away with 450s.

Hell even the 420a guys use safcs.

Why would he need a turbo ecu to run a safc? Ive ran the afc on a saturn honda and ive seen it being used on a 3g. Also for 10 psi I think 660s would be over kill with a safc tune I would go 550s. And he could probably get away with 450s.

Hell even the 420a guys use safcs.

If you've ran an safc then you should know it will only safely compensate for 150% of the ecus base injector scaling. After that with the amount of airflow pulled timing skyrockets because the ecu thinks there is less load(crusing).

The stock 4g64 ecu only runs 275cc plus on top of that it doesn't have provisions for knock control. The 660cc injectors are for when he wants to turn up the boost, and he will.

@ lasthope
I dont think a gst ecu is compatible with my harness.. different pin outs..
So a stock ecu, safc, wideband o2 and a obd2 logger is a no-no?
Can the sohc 4g64 produce good power without converting to dohc?I'm aiming for 280-300+ hp

If you've ran an safc then you should know it will only safely compensate for 150% of the ecus base injector scaling. After that with the amount of airflow pulled timing skyrockets because the ecu thinks there is less load(crusing).

The stock 4g64 ecu only runs 275cc plus on top of that it doesn't have provisions for knock control. The 660cc injectors are for when he wants to turn up the boost, and he will.

Good point I didn't think of that.

you want a stock turbo ecu since you are doing the headswap and 20g I have an extra flashable one if you need. definitely port the turbine housing at the flapper and do a 34mm flapper because if you go much past 10 psi your going to run out of fuel with the 450cc injectors. But it think its a good idea to stick with the stock injectors until you get everything setup and functioning theres going to be alot of debugging :D

If I was doing a step by step turbo again from a virgin spyder gs I'd:

install computer and injectors
fuel pump and rewire
bolt on head and turbo
install bigger injectors and tune

@ lasthope
I dont think a gst ecu is compatible with my harness.. different pin outs..
So a stock ecu, safc, wideband o2 and a obd2 logger is a no-no?
Can the sohc 4g64 produce good power without converting to dohc?I'm aiming for 280-300+ hp

the stock bottom end will handle 250+ whp for sure its been done many times. You've probably heard this before but the sohc 4g64 has the stock 4g63t turbo rods which have been shown to hold the power you want plus more. The pistons are the weak(thinner ring lands) link but should only fail if you start getting lots of knock and detonation.

When I first turbo'ed my SOHC I ran the stock turbo ecu + SAFC and evoscan at 9-10 psi and it always knocked 4-5 counts no matter how rich or lean I went with the SAFC but it made 225 whp. When I started using the flashable ecu I turned boost up to 15 psi and zeroed the knock by modifying the timing and fuel never had it redynoed but it was probably around 260 whp i' guess.

I know of at least 2 guys (20g and 50 trim) that went for 20 psi with the stock turbo ecu and SAFC but ended up grenade'in their bottom ends both had rod failure and my best guess is the knock causing rod bending and breakage based on what I saw with my own motor. That being said when I pulled my bottom end apart this summer for my 6bolt swap the bottom end was mint :thumb:

Ok well i have come to the conclusion(thanks to m_0ney_pit and Curt's website): flashable ecu+ceddymods+evoscan9 with 450cc injectors, 190lph and a 20g(cant get a smaller one) im trying to do ATLEAST 12psi, i dont mind starting on 8 and going my way through to 12.. So what are your opinions on this guys?i'll do the dohc head swap too.. BUT how do I install a knock sensor?

Thats why I said I dont mind going my way up to 12psi..injectors aint cheap Lol! Got the 450s really cheap along with the 20g

Ok guys thanks I have an idea of what I have to do now..
btw anyone has a picture/description of the 5 oil drain holes on the 2.4l block?
-Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back