1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

rattle on deceleration

Posted by zrsnopro97, May 24, 2010

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. zrsnopro97

zrsnopro97 Proven Member

Joined May 15, 2010
    indianapolis, Indiana
    Hello, this has probably been posted before but i used the search and didnt come up with much.

When im cruising along in gears 3,4, or 5 and let off the gas completely, i get a pretty loud rattling noise coming from the front end. If i push in the clutch, or touch the throttle, it goes away. Its not the exhaust or anything banging around...

Anyone else have this problem? I just changed the transfer case oil and it only took like half a quart? Is this right? The problem was there before and after i changed the t-case oil...

Any help is appreciated.
    thanks

2. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    There is something that is contacting when the car is on load, when you are giving it gas the motor is loaded moving it away not rattling, same when pushing in the clutch, load is removed. My guess is you don't have good mounts in the car, start there, if you do have good mounts, just start looking for something loose or that is shiny that looks like it has been banging/scrapping, or rattling.

3. zrsnopro97

zrsnopro97 Proven Member

Joined May 15, 2010
    indianapolis, Indiana
    Alright thanks. I guess i will have to just take a look under there. The car has poly motor/trans mounts.

4. Two4 Stroke Her

Two4 Stroke Her Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2006
    Cliffside Park, New Jersey
    Hey did you ever find out what the issue was? I am having the exact same issue and i have all new mounts, new trans, and new clutch. I jacked the car up to see if there was anything hitting anything, but that was before Someone suggested to check the Rear diff bushings. Just curious if you solved your problem

Thanks

701  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. hks-gst

hks-gst Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    ^ Sounds like a carrier bearing on your drive shaft.

368  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  6. nlzn

nlzn Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2006
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Had this problem. Turned out the drive shaft collar / dust cover on the transfer case was loose.

7. tmattson57

tmattson57 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 13, 2012
    San Ramon, California
    I know this is an old thread but just wondering if the OP ever fixed this issue. I am having precisely the same symptoms.

8. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Proven Member

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    i had same stuff, then my 3rd-4th shift fork of sleeve shattered. could just be a matter of time. im off to shep for a new one.

621  17

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution
  9. MetalMulisha

MetalMulisha Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2011
    Hampton, Georgia
    I'm having the exact same noise coming from the front end of my car, it started after my sponsor installed a new clutch and lightweight flywheel. Now it has started a harsh clunking and chattering when you start off from a dead stop. It feels like there is slop in the drivetrain. Any one ever figure out what the problem was? All these threads are left without a solution.

197  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM