The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Random Odd Transmission issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfiniteGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Tijeras, New_Mexico
WTF? Seriously... I get my car running flawless and pretty fast too and this shit happens.

Ok. Transmission always had a issue with the shift fork, however I got used to it and never really had an issue. Before I Got used to it, I noticed that you could shift in the middle of 2nd and 4th or 1st and 3rd... However this is new. Randomly and immediately 1st gear became a pain in the ass to shift into... it kept popping out, grinding, you'd have to rev it a little while fiddling with the clutch to get it in. But all other gears were fine. Well last night as I went to the gas station I tried pulling it into 4th and it will NOT go into 4th at all. Now as I came back from the gas station the car was acting like it was hesitating.... but common... no! Turned onto my street and shifted to 3rd and some odd noises came out and the car felt like I slammed on the brakes.... I floored it but the car hardly moved. While boosting doing 10mph finally pressed the clutch and had to rip it out of gear the car glided just fine into the parking spot. Tried getting it back into gear but it wont, and this time it doesn't grind or anything, the shifter just doesn't move up or down.

So WTF!

Sounds like it could be a few things. either the clutch is bad, since you didnt say how long you had the clutch in there we dont know if thats a problem or not. if the shift for is bent then it will not guide the throw out bearing properly which could cause is not to shift. If the car is off and it wont go into any gear then you might have something deeper in the tranny that has gone wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back