The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

General Random loss of spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMFryGuy

Probationary Member
Apr 25, 2018
Berlin, Wisconsin
Okay guys, ive been up and down with this problem and not sure now what is going on. this is the chain of event here.

about 2 months back i popped the head gasket on my 1g from a boost spike. parked the car for about a month and a half and finally decided to do the head gasket. replace that, inspect everything and find that it all looks super good still and put it back together. when i went to do my first start-up after the head gasket it wouldnt start. i diagnosed and found that i had seriously weak spark. so i started looking deeper into that scenario. checked my PTU, tested it with the AA battery trick and that checked out. i did voltage tests across the plug itself to make sure i had good voltage. battery voltage was at 12.4 but voltage out of computer to pigtail was 11.7 and the Black and White wire going to pigtail read 11.7 as well. tac wire read 9.7 volts engine off key on. moving on from that i checked MPI fuse and relay (good), checked for continuity on the sensor ground wire for both the PTU, and Cam Angle Sensor (good). Checked coil pack and that was all good too. After all that mess of diagnostics, and went to start it again and boom it fired up???

Without asking too many other questions i just drove it because to hell with it. it was running now so who cares. well a few days down the road and all of a sudden i was suffering from just a random loss of spark, and fuel pump? it would happen driving down the road, the car would shut down as if you just turned the key off? if you came to a complete stop when the car would do this it would not want to start. for quite some time. generally till the car cooled a good amount. so immediately im thinking cam angle sensor. that sensor controls fuel spark and injector pulse to my knowledge and if it was failing could cause this problem. i drove it to my buddies house 40 min away, while half way there going down the highway i was suffering from random loss of spark and fuel pump again. odd part is i found that if i smacked the gas peddle a few times it would come back and drive fine again. it would continue to spit sputter and drive like total ass for about 5 miles and then out of the clear blue, clear up 100% and never have a problem again for the rest of that drive.

Get to my buddies house let the car idle and it never dies sitting there? shut it down. starts right back up? so i address an oil leak instead. car cools in the process. start the car after to ensure that my oil leaks have been taken care of, and boom no start... pull a plug wire, ground it to the exhaust manifold and no spark... so we replace the PTU, same problem, replace cam angle sensor and it starts right up.. thinking the problem is solved i leave. dont have any more problems with it for a couple of days and then all of a sudden one day on my way to work it starts spitting and sputtering, look down at my tac and its jumping all over the place. once again im suffering from a random loss of spark and fuel pump. problem hangs around for about 5 miles down the highway and then all of a sudden clears up...

Its been almost a week now and it still will randomly do this. not every time tho. when does it happen?
-After start up, the car reaches running temperature shortly after i start my drive.
-if its gonna happen that day normally occurs within 15 min after reaching running temp.
-smacking the gas peddle seems to help it get over this quicker (no wiring getting pinched by throttle, i checked)
-only occurs 1 time per driving session from a cold start up and persists for generally 5 minutes

in the end my question to all of you is, is there something that is tied to the ignition and fuel system that im unaware of aside from MPI, PTU, CAS that directly control fuel and spark.

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
small 16g, front mount intercooler, 510 cc injectors, Greddy Emanage Blue piggy back ECU paired with the Greddy Profec e-01. (Piggy back is only tied into injector harness and not Ignition harness.)

welllll... no solution found yet. Drove 40 min up I-41 yesterday without a single problem, but cant say the same for today. on my way back she dogged harder than ive ever had. i lost power to the point where i had stopped on the side of the interstate. no start, no start, no start. finally cracked over and then it was all good from there on... i hope i find the problem with this soon...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back