The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Radiator light flashes once boost hits

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2004
St. Louis, Missouri
Some threads I've searched have said this is due to a blown headgasket, even though compression test results come back fine (155 163 160 160 for me).

Has anyone else experienced this? I started it up after a turbo/FMIC install with what I thought was enough coolant, then about 5 minutes of driving I noticed the radiator pagoda light hit after entering boost, then my engine temp needle steadily rising. I tried limping as much as I could then got to the side of the road immediately and shut it down. Based on the last coolant temp reading from DSMLink I believe the maximum temperature it reached was around 240* maybe twice, could this be enough to damage the headgasket? Does anyone have any other ideas to at least re-assure me?

Edit: I'm a moron and should be more persistent with searches; the light indicates a low coolant level so I probably just haven't filled it all back up yet (somehow).

240* is not a normal temperature for your car, but if it just peaked at that and came back down I wouldn't be too worried.

As you found out, the coolant light indicates low coolant, but only in the reservoir. I used to get that light on high g turns or when executing a donut-like manuver. The coolant in the reservoir gets splashed/slammed against the side of the bottle and leaves the sensor momentarily oncovered.

Check and add coolant in both the reservoir and through your radiator cap. Once it is full, drive around for awhile and see if you are loosing coolant. If you are, please post back and we'll further diagnose your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back