The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Question about ebay AWD Rear hub

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTUDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2005
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Im looking to buy a new Both rear wheel hub (complete setup). And i came up to the One,that Ebay has.Does it look right? because the price is really cheap.because i checked everywhere and they run over 300 a peace.....

Don't ever buy hubs off ebay. Sure their cheap, if you plan to keep your car you will run into problems down the road.

Rockauto has them for $111.79

That's the better route I think.

EDIT:
Actually, I may have found a better price.
Timken #512181 -- $86.79

Here's a few Timken part numbers. I'm currently running 2 Timken bearings on the front my my car. They're great. They make OEM parts for other companies.
2g Front: 513157
2g AWD Rear: 513181
2g FWD Rear: HA590306

For some reason, Rockauto doesn't list the rear AWD wheel bearing with the rest of the parts. You'll have to find it with a part number search. It's there. You may want to call them to double check.

I agree, Rockauto.com is pretty much the only place online i would buy parts from (except from oem from Mitsubishi oem sites)

Rockauto.com
click to open the parts catalog
click "Part Number Search"
enter "512181" in the Part Number box
select "Timken" in the Manufacturer box
click "Search"

It should be the only one that pops up.

You could also search for "Timken 512181" in google to find other sellers.

Here's a direct link to the rockauto listing
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Thats only a bearing,i need the whole hub assembly

But why would you need the whole hub assembly? These can be pressed in/out they are not a whole piece on a dsm correct? Im newb to dsm world though but I would assume :)

Secondly do they ship to canada? I will need to replace mine.. they are making noises in the back.

Thats only a bearing,i need the whole hub assembly

I would call rockauto and double check. $87 for just a bearing is ridiculous. I know I found just the bearing on NAPA's site for $17.

It's more expensive than the front wheel hub they have listed. And it's just slightly cheaper than the rear FWD hub. It wouldn't be the first time I've ordered something and it wasn't listed correctly.

When you type that part number into google, other stores show it's the whole hub assembly. :thumb:

But why would you need the whole hub assembly? These can be pressed in/out they are not a whole piece on a dsm correct? Im newb to dsm world though but I would assume :)

Secondly do they ship to canada? I will need to replace mine.. they are making noises in the back.

Technically, they can be pressed on and off. You're lucky if you can get the axle out of the hub without damaging it, let alone press the bearing off. Buying the whole hub will save lots of headaches.

And rockauto will ship to Canada.

Well im biulding an awd from the scratch,so whoever had the car before,gutted the hell out of it,and only left the axles and the rear hubs in a car,so i tried to take it apart,but it was impossible,so i just cuted the hub in a half and pull the axle out.... and now,thats why i need the whole new thing....

By the way i already find one at Mitsubishiparts.com for 136.The complete rear hub assy...

From my experiences, I always bring my Rockauto prices to Advance Auto and they always price match for me.

I've done that a few times too, but I often buy stuff when it's on clearance and dirt cheap. My local Advance wouldn't price match those prices.

I'm pretty sure that part number I listed is for a bearing with hub, but I'd still call first. I'd hate for you to order the wrong part because I was overly confident.

Timken 512181 are reboxed OEM bearings for the rears. Just got a pair today from Rock Auto. The picture shows the bearing and hub, which is kind of misleading. :notgood: They arrived bearing only and I effectively ####ed myself by throwing out the old bearings; I have no hubs.

These are manufactured by NTN Bearing of Japan

Timken 512181 are reboxed OEM bearings for the rears. Just got a pair today from Rock Auto. The picture shows the bearing and hub, which is kind of misleading. :notgood: They arrived bearing only and I effectively ####ed myself by throwing out the old bearings; I have no hubs.

These are manufactured by NTN Bearing of Japan

Well i ordered mines from Mitsubishiparts paid 136$ for the whole Rear hub assy.
I was looking through the posts out here,and i found one guy had the part number on a original box,and had a picture of what he got.And it was the whole rear hub assy.So i went on there and ordered....

That's about as cheap as you'll find them. The whole hub assemblies from Advance Auto are about $220 and about $185 from AutoZone IIRC. mitsubishiparts.com has been the cheapest I've found.

That's about as cheap as you'll find them. The whole hub assemblies from Advance Auto are about $220 and about $185 from AutoZone IIRC. mitsubishiparts.com has been the cheapest I've found.

Advance has the price 320 for the rear hub assy,but they can't get that,Same with Autozone,

Sorry to mislead you, but did you ever call and check?

Negative, I kind of figured "what you see is what you get," and usually Rock Auto is good about the photos. I bought them last week, and after they arrived today and finding that I was boned, I punched in Google to source some hubs and found this. Just posting up to make sure no one makes the same bonehead mistake

I found an old set of front bearings in the shop, the hubs look very similar. Gonna try punching them out and retrofit tomorrow.

Well i ordered mines from Mitsubishiparts paid 136$ for the whole Rear hub assy.
I was looking through the posts out here,and i found one guy had the part number on a original box,and had a picture of what he got.And it was the whole rear hub assy.So i went on there and ordered....

i just checked on that site and i must be doing something wrong, cause i couldnt seem to find em, you have direct link, or part number for that rear hub @ $136?
did you get your hub yet?

i just picked up a 97 GSX on Sunday and the right rear wheel bearing is toast! its loud.. makes me wonder if the left might be bad, but the right is so loud i cant hear it. do others usualy fix both/in pairs, or just 1 at a time as you know one is bad for sure?

Thanks

Koren

i just checked on that site and i must be doing something wrong, cause i couldnt seem to find em, you have direct link, or part number for that rear hub @ $136?

i just picked up a 97 GSX on Sunday and the right rear wheel bearing is toast! its loud.. makes me wonder if the left might be bad, but the right is so loud i cant hear it. do others usualy fix both/in pairs, or just 1 at a time as you know one is bad for sure?

Thanks

Koren

Here's how to check. The same applies to the rear, except there's no tie rod to be bad.

YouTube - You know your wheel bearing is bad when...

are the hubs different between the LSD and NON-LSD Rear?
No.

Thanks

Koren

Its actually 138.49 Ican't post a direct link because its not coming up. Just go to Online OEM catalog,Type "HUB ASSY " and it will pop up. i didn't get it yet,but Iknow its a complete peace,because some of the member of this forum posted the Picture,of what he got,and it was a coplete rear hub (awd)....

Sorry to mislead you, but did you ever call and check?

Yes i did..... i didn't call them i went there and talked to the sales person,and it was over 300,and they said,that they can't get them..... A dealer item..... So it took me a while till i found one.....

Well today i received the Rear hub assy here is the part num and some pic

Part# MR403968

Attachments

• Image156.jpg
    Image156.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Image158.jpg
    Image158.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Image159.jpg
    Image159.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 152
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back