The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g AWD Rear Hub Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jval

Probationary Member
Sep 25, 2003
Belleville, Ontario_Canada
I'm in the process of replacing drivers side rear wheel bearing (1g AWD), and like most am struggling with removal of the 15 year old hub assembly from the vehicle. I've been all over the forums/vfaqs and cannot find a clear description if the center cap must be removed in order to use a puller. This seems to be the only way I can see to get a puller in there but it's not mentioned anywhere.
If so, any tips on spinning the cap off? it looks pretty rusted in there.
Here's a pic of the cap I'm referring to:

EDIT: After chipping away at the edge of the cap today to try and see the threads it looks like this is all one solid piece and not actually a cap. So now where do the jaws of the puller attach? I've beaten on the axle stub (w/ nut on) to the point where the threads are starting to deform. If I choose to press it out, does the trailing arm need to come off?

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 437
I linked the vfaq that shows a 4 bolt install.

4 bolt rear install

You actually have to go and remove the axle cup from the inside of the hub before you can pull it out of the trailing arm. Good luck. I had to do this when I 5 lug'd my Galant and if the assembly is seized/rusted together it makes for a bad day. :notgood:

I ended up using a 3 arm gear puller for pulling off the axle cups and a slide hammer to pull the hub out of the trailing arm.

Thanks. Actually the axle caps came off very easily. I'm thinking of trying to pop out some of the wheel studs and put a bolt through the hole with a nut on the other side, (much like other suggestions to free stuck rotors). If I can get the bolt to line up with the housing around the hub I can hopefully apply enough pressure all the way around to break it free.
Has anyone tried this method before?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back