The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Quaife lsd differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would have to check with Ray at KAAZ, but I believe both the DBM2010 and DBM2050 are both 25-spline differentials. I have DBM2010's always on the shelf to check dimensions against. I would have to see a DBM2050, but I am guessing that the difference is only that the DBM2050 has the larger bearing bore for use with MD710663 bearings (larger tapered roller bearings), vs. the AWD DBM2010 uses MD706566 standard roller bearings with the smaller bore.

The only application I know of with 27-spline axles that might work based around the F5M42 transmission would be 3rd gen eclipse with 27-spline axles, and then the options for that transmission I would have to confirm.

If you have a GST, these seem to be conflicting goals. That load transfer to the rears is gonna make the launches required for those sorts of times a little difficult for a FWD car without drag tires. On the plus side, you can easily swap out to some drag tires at the track.

I'm gonna soap box a little here because I used to have a crappy VW Jetta and lofty goals (didn't work out so well), so I can speak from experience here. With a goal like that, make sure you have the closest thing to the right tool for the job right out of the box.

That being said, it's your car, it's your project, do whatever blows your hair back, sir.

I'll have to see how my gst does at the track with good street tires and if have to throw in some drag radials then I would. I don't plan to hit the track very often.

Also, as an update, the KAAZ DBM2050 is definitely a 25-spline front diff that takes the larger bore bearings as mentioned; KAAZ does not make a 27-spline front diff anymore because the gears were weak and they would break regularly. Quaife QDH7B is your only option.

Hands down need some qtp's at the least for that goal. Check out richard33's car. I personally love my Quaife LSD in my gst. For corners and striaghts. So much easier to burnout and launch. I was launching at 5250rpm and with 10psi boost and cutting low 1.7 60'. No way your doing that on drag radials and open diff. My gst will be back at it once my hands heal from my surgery. I have everything I need to hit 10's :)

What do you mean by qtp's?
Do you have any videos? How good of a traction do you get from having quiafe? What would you say about quiafe vs kaaz lsd? Have you tried to turn up the boost from a launch with quiafe?

Hands down need some qtp's at the least for that goal. Check out richard33's car. I personally love my Quaife LSD in my gst. For corners and striaghts. So much easier to burnout and launch. I was launching at 5250rpm and with 10psi boost and cutting low 1.7 60'. No way your doing that on drag radials and open diff. My gst will be back at it once my hands heal from my surgery. I have everything I need to hit 10's :)

Oh and what tires are you running?

The quaife is significantly more durable than the factory FWD front diff that likes to throw the cross-pin through your bellhousing. And yes, it will help overall with traction better than the factory open front diff.

Some drag radials also aren't too friendly with our drivetrain, I would recommend a softer sidewall tire, as it will have more give.

QTP's are Hoosier Quick Time Pro (QTP) DOT slicks. They can be street driven, though I wouldn't recommend it on a FWD; and they have decent wear life in comparison to other options like MT ET Street's which wear away extremely fast.

As for tire options, it will mainly depend on what size wheel you are using to determine the proper choices.

Vids are in my profile. I havnt used a kaaz unit yet so not sure how it compairs. I've used more boost on the launch, but found for my setup around 10psi worked great for a good consistent 60'. I also do burnouts in 2nd gear to get more wheel speed, and get a hotter burnout. I use Hoosier qtp's for the front at track they are 26"x9.5"x16". And on the street run 225/45/17 hankook ventus v12's.

The quaife is significantly more durable than the factory FWD front diff that likes to throw the cross-pin through your bellhousing. And yes, it will help overall with traction better than the factory open front diff.

Some drag radials also aren't too friendly with our drivetrain, I would recommend a softer sidewall tire, as it will have more give.

QTP's are Hoosier Quick Time Pro (QTP) DOT slicks. They can be street driven, though I wouldn't recommend it on a FWD; and they have decent wear life in comparison to other options like MT ET Street's which wear away extremely fast.

As for tire options, it will mainly depend on what size wheel you are using to determine the proper choices.

I'm running te37 17x7.5 +40. What's your take on this. I was planning on running some nitto nt555r?

Vids are in my profile. I havnt used a kaaz unit yet so not sure how it compairs. I've used more boost on the launch, but found for my setup around 10psi worked great for a good consistent 60'. I also do burnouts in 2nd gear to get more wheel speed, and get a hotter burnout. I use Hoosier qtp's for the front at track they are 26"x9.5"x16". And on the street run 225/45/17 hankook ventus v12's.

How are your hancooks handling? I was planning to go with nitto nt555r.

If you're intent on drag racing a street car, I'd definitely go with the quiafe; no maintenance required, allows a difference in wheel speed for the street, and more freedom on gear oil selection.

What do you mean by "allows a difference in wheel speed for the street"? And thanks for your opinion. That's just what I needed.

How do I watch your videos of your gst on your profile?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back