The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Pulls harder at 80% throttle than WOT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Like the title says... I think I'm experiencing fuel cut or maxing the injectors, or maybe some sensors are reading wack. The only difference between 80% and WOT is that I can hear more air coming through the intake, but it definitely does not pull any harder. It might even be a worse pull. When I'm really pulling I never push the pedal all the way, because for some reason I feel like it is stronger if not at WOT, or at least I can feel the power better.

Thoughts?

You don't run a wideband do you Solomon?

You "know"??
You will know what you measure. Not what you can subjectively see.
12k miles on a set of headers, and the inside is so clean that I would eat out of it. Plugs are clean for the most part, with 2k miles on them. No exhaust smoke, and the smell dissapeared when I replaced the gaskets.
Could I be running a little rich? Absolutely. But it does not appear that way. :)

Any thoughts?

It likely pulls harder at less than wide open because at wide open you are in a safer fuel and ignition timing area of the maps to protect the engine from too much heat in the combustion chamber.

If you are running lean, how lean are you running?.
I would recommend a wideband, it will tell you how lean you are running and will get a better idea what probably be causing it., Otherwise, we are going to be pin point with all the issues that could be causing a small and a big reach mixture.

Are you running e30 or something like that?

cause a NA engine on pump gas should have an AFR like 12.5 or 13

One thing that comes to mind on the pulling harder at 80% issue, which you probably already did.
make sure the throttle plate isnt over rotating when the gas pedal is to the floor.

Are you running e30 or something like that?

cause a NA engine on pump gas should have an AFR like 12.5 or 13

One thing that comes to mind on the pulling harder at 80% issue, which you probably already did.
make sure the throttle plate isnt over rotating when the gas pedal is to the floor.

I'm running 93 octane pump gas. Walbro 255lp pump, ProTune filter.

So you're saying that at WOT @7000 rpm I should have an AFR of 12 - 13? It was at about 13.5 before I upgraded the fuel system. Now it's 10.8

Yes sir, 12.5 is as rich as you wanna go, and you should make the most power between 12.5 and 13 .
With a turbo i aim for 11.2- 11.5

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back