1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

PTE Turbo reliability discussion

Posted by Black95TSIawd, Nov 23, 2010

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Guys, there really is no point to recording the information from Ball Bearing units.

A ball bearing turbo is either going to make boost when it's new or it's not. As long as it's fed a clean low-pressure and low-volume oil source, it's lifespan is literally indefinite. There is no thrust system in a ball bearing turbo, nor do you have to worry about sudden drops in oil pressure causing metal-on-metal contact of the bearings because the bearings are always metal-on-metal.

The objective here is trying to determine exactly why the journal bearing PTE units are failing with such low mileage when sourced exactly how PTE recommends.

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

5K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. icemanracing

icemanracing Probationary Member

Joined Feb 8, 2009
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Which PTE turbo?: PTE SC6131 Ball Bearing
    Balance shafts?: no
    Ported OFH?: no
    Where where you sourcing oil from?: head, 4an line without restrictor
    when did the turbo blown?: It has lasted 5,000 miles and counting Daily Driven car.

3. sbiggi

sbiggi Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2005
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    You are missing a important part of the oiling equation. The oil drain line, size and configuration.

and with that said

Which PTE turbo?: PTE SC6152e Journal bearing
    Balance shafts?: No
    Ported OFH?: Yes, still see over 100psi on cold oil. 75-80 when warmed up.
    Where are you sourcing oil from?: Oil fileter housing
    Size of feed line and restrictor?: -3an, no restrictor
    Has the turbo blown?: No
    How many miles did it or is it lasting?: 10K miles so far, running up to 40 psi at times
    Return Line: Using a hacked off stock return on the oilpan with same size fitting on turbo. Dont remember size, 5/8" (-10an) maybe

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

486  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.283 @ 126.860 · 1G DSM
  4. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    Below is a post that Matt, DSMonster made on another board. I hope he doesn't get angry that I did a copy and paste, but it is very helpful so I would like to carry it over.

"Just got off the phone with PTE. The drain line is supposed to be minimum -10 with NO 90* angles. 15-20psi feed pressure is ok for minimum on load. With no more than 80psi ever. The FEED line needs to be -4an. And when he is discussing oil pressure he is discussing in the engine (at the OFH).

This is where it gets stupid. . . Then he says that oil pressure after the -4 line at the turbo inlet will read the same as in the engine because oil is non-compressable. . . So why the hell does FP sell oil restrictors if diameter doesn't alter pressure? He says it about flow not really pressure. Which we all know to be the reality. But if the pressure at the turbo oil inlet is X pressure and the chra flows Y flow because of the drain diameter, then Z flow will exist; regardless of the feed line and oil pressure in the engine. So he's claiming that there will be more oil flow with a -4 line. And I say more flow potential. Clamp the drain, and pressure at the chra inlet goes up, but flow doesn't. Clamp the feed and pressure goes down AND flow goes down, exactly what a restrictor does."

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    184.4 whp · 251.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  5. gsx4g64

gsx4g64 Proven Member

Joined Oct 14, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Which PTE turbo?: PTE 76 gts
    Ported OFH?: Yes, 80psi on cold oil. 40 - 60 when warmed up.
    Size of feed line and restrictor?: -4an, with custom restrictor
    Has the turbo blown?: Yes. a few times prior to adding a restrictor
    How many miles did it or is it lasting?: It use to blow at random milage. One time, it blew with no miles. installed and started to smoke. PTE at first didnt want to exchange turbo.

1K  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    856 whp · 587 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  6. red1993gsallmt

red1993gsallmt Proven Member

Joined Dec 30, 2002
    long branch, New Jersey
    is that at idle or redline?^^^^^

667  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.429 @ 134.420 · 1G DSM
  7. gsx4g64

gsx4g64 Proven Member

Joined Oct 14, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    When the car is cold it idles about 1500 rpms, and the oil pressure is high. Once the car warmsup it idles at about 1100 and the oil pressure is between 40 and 60. Iam using a race pump. This my be the reason for the higher oil pressure.

1K  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    856 whp · 587 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  8. red1993gsallmt

red1993gsallmt Proven Member

Joined Dec 30, 2002
    long branch, New Jersey
    that may not be such a great thing, mine was that high. once i droped it i noticed the motor reved twice as fast as it did before. what is it at redline

667  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.429 @ 134.420 · 1G DSM
  9. Long Duk Dong

Long Duk Dong Proven Member

Joined Jul 8, 2008
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have used Precision Turbo turbos since 1996. They include the following - TA49, PT52, PT54, TE60, TE62, TE63-1, PT70, PT74, PT76, PT88 and the GT4788. They have mostly been journal bearing. They have been used with and without blow off valves. I have used them on everything from Turbo Buicks to Mustangs to LS1 cars. I have only had one fail in the 15 years I have used them. The issue I had was years ago with a TE62. I called Harry and he replaced it without issue. I have always found them to have great customer service and their products to be top notch. I may install one of his 5031 T3 turbos on my AWD. Not sure what is going on but it sounds like there is a common denominator that may not be a QC issue in regards to the turbos themselves. They have a good many import cars running their turbos without issue. Quite a few of those imports are Mitsubishi's. I would suggest calling and leaving a message for Harry informing him of the percentage of turbos failing on Mitsubishi's and see what information he can offer.

10. BIGBLAZE79

BIGBLAZE79 Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2006
    Mesa, Arizona
    Which PTE turbo?: PTE SCM4431R BB
    Ported OFH?: No
    Size of feed line and restrictor?: -4AN SS braided line, restrictor that came with the turbo from PTE.
    No issues so far, don't know mileage cause the car has been broken for a long time. But it's finally back baby! I would guess about 4 - 7K miles.

BIGBLAZE79

566  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.978 @ 122.710 · 2G DSM
  11. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    ^

Again,
    The O.P. needs to change the title to read "PTE Journal Bearing Turbo reliability discussion".

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

5K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  12. LandoAWD

LandoAWD Retired

Joined Jun 13, 2002
    Hillsborough, North Carolina
    Which PTE turbo?: SCM61
    Balance shafts?: Neg
    Ported OFH?: Neg
    Where are you sourcing oil from?: OFH
    Size of feed line and restrictor?: -4, no coolant, no restrictor
    Has the turbo blown?: Neg
    How many miles did it or is it lasting?: 8k (ish) Some smoke under boost, no axial play

13. Black95TSIawd

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    A mod will have to change the title. It will not let me edit that.

And, just an update on my part, or lack there of, but my turbo is not on just yet. I'm having some other issues with my car and the northeast is getting beat with snow so I can't work on it. I'm leaning towards a straight -4 from the OFH and possibly use a .75 restrictor if my oil pressure is over 90psi at redline.

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  14. MY1GDSM

MY1GDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 26, 2007
    On the beach, Washington
    While I understand what your saying, Can't really bash people for posting info about their BB units being there's no mention of this in OPs' First post in-fact he asks to clarify whether they are BB or Journal...

And while I understand trying to get to the route cause of the problems. I don't see the need to exclude one group of turbos. even if they should last forever Imho, It never hurts to have source of info for what works and what doesn't regaredless...

Maybe the OP Could just edit the First Post to more clearly communicate that the main goal it to find the problem of Journal Bearing Pte turbos...

949  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  15. SvarO

SvarO Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2004
    panama, Central America
    so, so far, the issue with PTE JB is overrated most of them for incorrectly oil restrictor...

I have PTE JB 6262 and it will be soon on my evo II.

my friend with Evo III have.

Which PTE turbo?: PTE 5857
    Ported OFH?: No.
    Where are you sourcing oil from?: Head
    Size of feed line and restrictor?: -4, no coolant, no restrictor
    Has the turbo blown?: Neg
    How many miles did it or is it lasting?: several races and still going, even the engine blow haha and still the turbo is strong.

381  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  16. FenixTX717

FenixTX717 Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2004
    k-town, Wisconsin
    My question is where are people putting the restrictor exactly? Meaning what's best, on the turbo itself or actually restricting it at the OFH. I've read/seen some people just weld the OFH fitting and re-drill it to the restriction size they need. I also see (and I got one in my feed kit) that just bolts on the top of the turbo.

Advantages/Dissadvantages from either place and what do people recommend, location wise to put the restrictor?

371  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    13.100 @ 113.990 · 2G DSM
  17. Black95TSIawd

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    Bumping this thread.

There is some fantastic info in here and now, 3 years later, some more of you should share your experiences.

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  18. BrokenTsi

BrokenTsi Proven Member

Joined May 3, 2003
    Rome, New York
    Which PTE turbo?: T4 6466 DBB
    Balance shafts?:No
    Ported OFH?: Yes
    Where are you sourcing oil from?: OFH
    Size of feed line and restrictor?: -4AN feed line w/ PTE restrictor it came with
    Has the turbo blown?: NO
    How many miles did it or is it lasting: 2k miles, never seen under 40psi making 800hp+ and I beat the crap out of it.

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    9.693 @ 150.800 · 1G DSM
  19. boost97gst

boost97gst Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2012
    st jacob, Illinois
    PTE 5858 JOURNAL BEARING/dsm .63 housing
    BS delete: NO
    Ported OFH: NO
    Feed: OFH, 4an. Not restricted. Not water cooled
    How long has it lasted: ~4500 miles. No noticeable shaft play. Ran around 30-32 psi. No smoke, no problems at all.

PTE got a bad name. From my limited personal experience it has been a good snail. If I didnt want a FP so bad i would be getting a 6466BB unit for sure. The 3786 or 3794 has caught my eye though.

20. sbiggi

sbiggi Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2005
    Elizabeth, Colorado

3 years later I am still running the same turbo

486  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.283 @ 126.860 · 1G DSM