1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Pre Throttle Boost Source IC vs. Turbo Housing

Posted by cait sith, Apr 21, 2013

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. cait sith

cait sith Proven Member

Joined Nov 22, 2002
    Brooklyn, New York
    My EVC5 needs a pre throttle boost source, and my FP3052 isn't drilled/tapped for one, which has caused some uh, relatively interesting throttle response when T'd off the BOV line (Aka don't do it).

I was looking around and some people say that doing the j-pipe for a boost source is OK.

I'd rather NOT have to drop the turbo or drill/tap the turbo while it's mounted, but if it's really that much better than the intercooler pipe (pre I/C), I'll do it, but I don't think it's that great?

I'm almost ready to go buy another Hallman. Ugh.

2. Gstclipse69

Gstclipse69 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2006
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I think tapping the j pipe right after the turbo would be fine. Much easier than dropping the turbo and having to tap the compressor housing.

603  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  3. cait sith

cait sith Proven Member

Joined Nov 22, 2002
    Brooklyn, New York
    Thanks, I think I'm going to grab a cast elbow and put the port in there. I can always take it out if need be as well.

Cheers!

4. crash89

crash89 Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2008
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    You dont have to really take the turbo off, just the compressor housing. Usually they have a big C clamp or a few bolts. But yes as close to the compressor cover as you can get would be better.

4K  4

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    11.043 @ 125.92 · 2G DSM
  5. cait sith

cait sith Proven Member

Joined Nov 22, 2002
    Brooklyn, New York
    Speaking of which, what's the diameter of the outlet on a 3052, is it 2.5"? I don't have access to my car at the current moment.

6. Moonlight GSX

Moonlight GSX Proven Member

Joined Nov 16, 2010
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    The diamter is a 2" out, generally you're larger sized turbos (T3/T4 type) will run the 2.5" out with a 4" in.

Street Build 2K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM