The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

2G Possible Transfer Case Issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvoSlapper

Probationary Member
11
0
Aug 20, 2024
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hello,
My 98 GSX had another issue pop up. A new clutch went in a few hundred miles before this happened. I was accelerating under boost when there was a loud bang and the car jolted. It then acted as if the clutch was slipping so I immediately thought an issue with the new clutch. As I was attempting to limp it home and jolted again, albeit not as violent as I wasn't heavy on the throttle, and the slipping went away. At this point I tested it a little more on my way home. Under heavy boost in 2nd gear it felt as if one of the rear tires was spinning. At this point I knew it wasn't the clutch. I got it home and observed the undercarriage and noticed driveline fluid all over the bottom of the t-case.

What should be my next step? I was thinking pulling the t-case as it's fairly simple to do then inspect the input shaft splines on the t-case and the output shaft splines on the trans. Any thing else I should be looking out for or taking apart? I appreciate any and all insight. Please let me know if any further info is needed from my end.
 
Output shaft and input coupler are my first guess. Hopefully not the center diff. A broken rear axle maybe another culprit.
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 2g 2g AWD auto trans case
    2g AWD auto trans case. No broken bolts or stripped threads. Bead blasted case will look new...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 2g 2g GST auto trans case
    2g auto trans case. With bearing plate and end case covers. Good condition. Trans was like...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • Wanted 2g 2g radiator support
    Im looking for a radiator support if anyone has one
    • Fundsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 3 inch Magnaflow SS high flow cat. CA approved.
    3 inch Magnaflow stainless cat. High flow. 18.25 inches. Flange holes are 4 1/8 center. Has...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 4G63 Race parts.
    Brand new seal in box Kigglys HLA 175$Kigglys 12 tooth billet crankshaft triggel setup 250$...
    • GST2012GSX
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top