The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

polishing aluminum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast97gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
I shaved the letters off of my valve cover and started polishing the whole cover. I got it looking very smooth and it has a lot of shine, but I hear it won't stay like that for very long. Supposedly it will become dull and uneven after a few weeks. Can I put some type of clearcoat or soemthing over it to help keep the shine? Any other tips on polishing aluminum? Thanks.

1fast97gsx said:
Can I put some type of clearcoat or soemthing over it to help keep the shine?

Yes, there is a product called Zoop Seal. It is a sealant for polished aluminum. People use it under the hood mostly but many use it on their wheels to keep them looking newer and nicer for a long time. It's kinda expensive though. Retail is like $130 but it comes with alot of stuff. I got 'em on the shelf and everyone that has bought the kit has really liked it. :dsm:

Bust out the mothers mag polish and get ready to scrub. Seriously though I usually have to do it about once a week to keep my radiator looking good. I polished a lot of other stuff too so I have to do that too.

Holy SH!T!! Another person who knows about Zoop Seal! AWESOME! Stuff works good, but it is really expensive. Mother's polish rocks, but its a pain using it all the time. I've sprayed clear coat over my brushed alluminum pieces, not over polished though. Works good for those. Try polishing something small and clearing it. See if it works

I polished my valve cover and then cleared it, it has worked just fine for about six months now. but I would try the zoop seal stuff first because clear coat can and will probably chip at some time.

I would think something like turtle wax would help give it a bit of a protective shell.

I might be wrong, but wouldnt turtle wax just melt off? Or heat up and become spotty?

I didn't think about that. I did my throttle body elbow after polishing it and it has worked good so far but it stays pretty cool.

Why don't you get it anodized?

You can get whatever color you want, and it won't dull.

I just use high heat clearcoat for all my polishing and high temp painting,, (turbo heat shield, valve cover, calipers, etc). I use a 1200 degree claercoat made by VHT. I know summit sells it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back