The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Pocket Logging vs Chip burning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akasoldats

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Kzoo, Michigan
Whats the difference between two?
I have an EPROM ECU and I also happen to have a Palm 700p that I would be willing to buy software and or hardware needed for either. I am looking for something that would be good to start tuning with. Meaning I haven't done any thus far with aynthing, ever. I'd like to get some opinions on both. thx

With a chip your injector size and your tune is put in the ECU and that's it. Every time you upgrade injectors you'll need another chip. On the other hand there is the Palm/SAFC setup.

You use the Palm for a device to put your logging software on. Logging software can either be had from pocketlogger or mmcd. I believe mmcd is free as well. You use the logger to look at data from the car like; rpm timing o2s, to name the important ones. From this data you can determine if you are knocking and whether to add/ subtract fuel.

You will need some form of engine management to do this, the most popular for lightly/medium modded cars being a SAFC. You can pick one up on the classifieds for 150.

I think this would be a good route to start off with because if you do some research and learn to tune yourself then this could give you a much more well rounded understanding of your car and how it works other than getting a chip and putting it in. Check this thread out

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/58403-definitive-piggyback-tuning-guide.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/57771-how-use-pocketlogger.html

All that ^^^, plus the ever popular chip/safc/logger combo. OP, you really ought to have an safc and logger with a chip, just to be sure everything is burned in correctly. I make small corrections to the e85 tune on my chip using an safc, to tighten things up a little. And a wbo2 is a great idea, to be sure you are safe. If you don't feel like dicking around with Link, and don't mind paying the ~$25 to have a chip reburned if you change your setup, then the chips are great.

Whats the difference between two.

So it's clear, these are two different things.

Datalogging (PocketLogger is a datalogging product) is the process of connecting to the Engine Computer and gathering information on how it's operating.

Chip burning is changing the software the Engine Computer runs to change the engine tune or adjust for changes in the configuration, like bigger injectors or a different airflow meter. You can also add features to the software like a stutterbox.

Datalogging is valuable even if you don't change anything else and a requirement if you start changing the software.

The DSMLink/ECMLink product provides both Datalogging and the ability to change the tune on the fly.

Ok so I got a Palm data logger cable for OBDII and it didnt come with any software. So right now I'm using palmnstien. Its kinda buggy though are there any other alternatives for palm other than pocket logger??

Ok so I got a Palm data logger cable for OBDII and it didnt come with any software. So right now I'm using palmnstien. Its kinda buggy though are there any other alternatives for palm other than pocket logger??

OBD gauge datalogger

Downloads Area

All that ^^^, plus the ever popular chip/safc/logger combo. OP, you really ought to have an safc and logger with a chip, just to be sure everything is burned in correctly. I make small corrections to the e85 tune on my chip using an safc, to tighten things up a little. And a wbo2 is a great idea, to be sure you are safe. If you don't feel like dicking around with Link, and don't mind paying the ~$25 to have a chip reburned if you change your setup, then the chips are great.

I have this set up and I agree with everything he said. I had the money for dsmlink and I already had a laptop, but I didnt know much about tuning and this is a simpler route.

I like TMO Log, but that's only for PC.

For Palm programs, I like MMCD; You could give pdyno a try too, that one is ok.

What is TMO log and what makes you like it better? Is it free? I have evo scan but it is to slow for me to actually use it :(

I guess I didn't notice his is a 95, logging for those sucks no matter what. The best logging rate I can get is 3.3 samples per second, which is pretty much useless for logging even 2 things at a time. OBD Gauge works pretty good to watch while you drive, but the airflow value doesn't work.

I usually use something called "OBD II Logger", available here: OBD II logger Win. It saves a log file whenever you are connected, and at least the airflow value works.

You could also try digimoto lite.

jrohner, what cable/s are you using with your PC and this program? Are they serial or USB? I've got a serial cable for my Palm/Tunerstein combo, but no serial on my laptop, and I've had no luck with serial/USB adapters. I'd like to ditch the palm and it's erratic behavior if I could.

Rahim you seem soo confused LOL. I ended up getting that safc for 90 bucks. It is gonna be here this week. We need to get you something you can use to tune. A datalogger just looks at what your car is doing. SAFC changes the maf signal so your comp will add/subtract fuel along the fuel curve.

Rahim you seem soo confused LOL. I ended up getting that safc for 90 bucks. It is gonna be here this week. We need to get you something you can use to tune. A datalogger just looks at what your car is doing. SAFC changes the maf signal so your comp will add/subtract fuel along the fuel curve.

Haha that would be why i posted it in the "newbie" area. But yeah I got it all figured out now. I don think i neeed to tune anything until the ground isnt covered in ice though ....

jrohner, what cable/s are you using with your PC and this program? Are they serial or USB? I've got a serial cable for my Palm/Tunerstein combo, but no serial on my laptop, and I've had no luck with serial/USB adapters. I'd like to ditch the palm and it's erratic behavior if I could.

I use serial.

If your serial cable was made for a palm, you will need to use a null modem cable not a regular straight through serial cable. On a null modem cable, the transmit and receive wires are swapped at one end. Then, for the serial to usb adapter, you will need the keyspan one -- they are supposedly the ones that work the best with this stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back