1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Please help with clutch pedal

Posted by Clawless, Feb 28, 2020

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Clawless

Clawless Proven Member

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    Hey guys, so I bought the car last year and hadn't realized the clutch master cylinder was leaking until it left me stranded recently (Thankfully near my house). I replaced it with the Exedy MC188 master and bled the system. The car would catch low with the old master which felt good. The issue now is the car catches kind of high. Any way of fixing this the right way? Thanks in advance

Street Build 421  1

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If it’s bleed properly, turn the master rod adjuster counter clockwise 1/4 turn at a time and see how it feels.

350  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

373  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
    1dohc6 likes this.
  3. 1dohc6

1dohc6 Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2010
    Greeley, Colorado

Street Build 362  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

67  1

Ford F-250 platinum 6.7 diesel
    automatic · Misc Vehicles
  4. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Not to say [email protected]#K Jack's Transmissions, but I really don't like them, or their service/lack of service. Their video, while having decent info, does not show everything that needs to be seen. Plus the guy in the video talks so damn low, he's hard to understand.

Watch this video instead:

Jafro is a great source of knowledge for these cars and does a very great job of explaining this procedure.

1K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
    Kryndon likes this.
  5. Clawless

Clawless Proven Member

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    Thank you all for the amazing help and information. I'll try all your suggestions. I don't know if this is relevant but I installed the master with the old connector to the pedal. The first image shows the new and unused connector. The second image is the old connector which I'm using. I had to cut a small part off of the threaded rod to make it work.

Attached Files:

Street Build 421  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. 95FullSend99

95FullSend99 Proven Member

Joined Dec 3, 2019
    ledyard, Connecticut
    I just went through this exact same issue. Exedy makes a decent clutch master cylinder but the rod and bracket on the pedal side of the cylinder are the wrong size. They are too short. You will not be able to properly adjust the clutch. After following the instructions put out by Jack's, the master cylinder will not be able to bleed pressure back to the reservoir.

Buy OEM. I am a believer that not everything needs to be OEM but the master cylinder and slave cylinder are a must. Save yourself the time and experimentation and buy yourself an OEM unit.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020

Street Build 557  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. 95FullSend99

Joined Dec 3, 2019
    ledyard, Connecticut
    Also, DO NOT use the second bracket. Again, I ran into issues using it and aftermarket master cylinders. The second one you have pictured is measurable shorter than the OEM. The rod was almost a half inch shorter and the bracket was a quarter of an inch shorter.

After acquiring an OE rod and bracket, it still failed to work properly with my exedy unit. Couldnt adjust properly.

Street Build 557  15

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Clawless

Clawless Proven Member

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    By the second bracket, do you mean the OEM one with the rubber insert? The bracket that came with the master lacked that so I assumed it was wrong. The rod on exedy ended up actually being longer than OEM. I cut it to match the length of the old unit. I see your point about NOT using the old bracket with the new master. I also believe in only OEM and OEM+ parts and kept the old master. Would you recommend just buying a rebuild kit and using that? I'm going to attempt aligning again tomorrow with the videos everyone posted here. I just have to make the new master work with either of the brackets posted for now please.

Street Build 421  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Clawless

Clawless Proven Member

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    Jack's Transmissions video wasn't the clearest nor loudest video to follow honestly. The video you sent me went above and beyond what I expected of an explanation. I initially messed around with the pedal travel height before adjusting the master rod and think that might also be messing things up. Im just going to take the pedal side of the master off and redo everything.

Street Build 421  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  10. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Happy to help, Jafro has many more videos that are a great source of reference.

1K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
    tk106 likes this.
  11. 95FullSend99

Joined Dec 3, 2019
    ledyard, Connecticut
    If you are going to try it then use the oem bracket and rod. There is a c clip holding the rod on. Take that off and swap it over. Keep in mine that the cylinder inside the exedy unit is smaller than OE so it wont push as much fluid as the OEM unit will. Rebuild kits work but in my experience, not for long. Maybe a month. I'd just invest in a new OE unit. I know they are expensive but it will save the heartache and the waste of money in the end.

Street Build 557  15

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Clawless likes this.