The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G P0340 code, backfire and ignition miss

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo Mike

Probationary Member
Oct 22, 2017
Spring, Texas
Hello,

New member. Just bought a 98 GST. Been doing a bunch of searching on the interwebs for an answer to my problem with no luck. Has an issue when running for about 20 minutes. Engine develops a misfire, loss of power, backfires out the exhaust, won't rev, tach drops rpm. I keep getting code P0340. I replaced the cam position sensor and the problem still exists. When the car sits and cools down for about 20 minutes it's fine again. I checked voltage at the cam sensor and everything looks normal. I pulled the cam sensor housing to check for any abnormalities. I installed a Walbro 255lph fuel pump just because I had one. I replaced the spark plugs with NGK BPR7ES gapped to .024, did a compression test, everything looks good. Plug wires are brand new NGK.
As far as I know the car is stock except for 3" turbo back exhaust, upgraded intercooler, and maybe an upgraded turbo? (says TD05H on it).
I am stumped. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Problem solved !

I had replaced the ignition coils with aftermarket units. Apparently they were faulty. I purchased a used pair and it solved the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back