The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

oring or mls?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funfettie

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Hay guys, so I threw my head gasket and I'm wondering I'd now is a good time to upgrade to an oringed block w/stainless rings and an organic/composit gasket or if I should just deck the block/head and run another mls. Setup is a 9.5/1 comp 2.3L stroker, 34psi at 71lbs a min. 7500 rpm limit, 650awhp with map H11 studs. I have never had any luck with mls gaskets sealing with the past few engines and I'm tired of leaking fluids all over the block. Thanks!

I'd look into a different machinist if the work they're doing isn't allowing a MLS to seal. Get good surfaces that are straight and have an Ra in the 20's or better and a Felpro MLS. That's what I would do. Good luck.

Last edited:
Any mls will hold the power, you just need the right finish on both surfaces for it to seal.

I'd look into a different machinist if the work they're doing isn't allowing a MLS to seal. Get good surfaces that are straight and have an Ra in the 20's or better and a Felpro MLS. That's what I would do. Good luck.

In general your right, but don't be so quick to blame the machinist. The installation of a MLS headgasket and proper torque down is critical. As many fail due to poor installation as due to poor machining.

OP.. I don't think o-ringing is necessary on your set-up. Below is what I have found to be the best headgaskets in order of preference.

HKS stopper (the only one to take a full season at 48 psi)
Felpro Permatorque (Black one)
Mitsu MLS

There are others, but I personally wouldn't touch them on a high boost set-up.

if the deck of the block is in spec, is there a way i can avoid pulling it to decking it? would copper spray help in this case? I plan to pass on the O-ring setup, and go MLS so i just need to figure out how to make this seal right this time. Any more tips/help would be very greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
I just checked the head and the deck is true, no warp at all. Im starting to think that maybe the seal just slowly let go. That and the engine was built with a commetic MLS, so it wasnt a very good gasket from the get go. OEM MLS and copper spray should do the trick i think!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back