The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Opinions on hot spots

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstclipse69

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Columbia, South_Carolina
So, I pulled my motor and tranny out to swap in another block and thus took my clutch assembly off. Once I got it out of there I found 3 nice hot spots on my flywheel and pressure plate. I wasn't expecting this, and am now wondering what was the cause of this. The pressure plate is a southbend SS-X with a full face kevlar disk, and an act streetlite flywheel that was resurfaced and stepped correctly before installation. I got like 1500 miles on this setup. I never launched it, only some hard 2-3 and 3-4 shifting. Obviously i am assuming they both are beyond repair. Opinions on what not to do next time?

Attachments

• IMG_20160106_182619.jpg
    IMG_20160106_182619.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20160106_182635.jpg
    IMG_20160106_182635.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 73
By the look of the pictures i don't think the clutch is fully engaging .

It didn't fully break in, that's pretty common with carbon kevlar disks. They need to be broken in perfectly. That's why I like to steer clear of them, street disk or puck is all I run.

Was it giving you problems? All you said was you pulled it at 1500 miles.

You didn't picture the clutch disc so I assume it looks fine, but the flywheel and pressure plate are never going to look like new. as mentioned they don't look like they have been through enough heat cycles to be worn in.

I would re use it if that's what you're asking. Just make sure the burn marks on the pressure plate and flywheel match back up.

No it wasn't really giving me much problem. It just didn't want to shift easily at 7-8k. I just pulled it because I'm swapping in a built bottom end. So I'd be alright to run an act street disk with this pressure plate right? Instead of the kevlar disk I have now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back