1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Opinions on hot spots

Posted by Gstclipse69, Jan 6, 2016

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Gstclipse69

Gstclipse69 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2006
    Columbia, South Carolina
    So, I pulled my motor and tranny out to swap in another block and thus took my clutch assembly off. Once I got it out of there I found 3 nice hot spots on my flywheel and pressure plate. I wasn't expecting this, and am now wondering what was the cause of this. The pressure plate is a southbend SS-X with a full face kevlar disk, and an act streetlite flywheel that was resurfaced and stepped correctly before installation. I got like 1500 miles on this setup. I never launched it, only some hard 2-3 and 3-4 shifting. Obviously i am assuming they both are beyond repair. Opinions on what not to do next time?

Attached Files:

601  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  2. Lou98GSX

Lou98GSX Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    Carmel, New York
    By the look of the pictures i don't think the clutch is fully engaging .

3. babyviper

babyviper Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2003
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    It didn't fully break in, that's pretty common with carbon kevlar disks. They need to be broken in perfectly. That's why I like to steer clear of them, street disk or puck is all I run.

Street Build 2K  10

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    Was it giving you problems? All you said was you pulled it at 1500 miles.

You didn't picture the clutch disc so I assume it looks fine, but the flywheel and pressure plate are never going to look like new. as mentioned they don't look like they have been through enough heat cycles to be worn in.

I would re use it if that's what you're asking. Just make sure the burn marks on the pressure plate and flywheel match back up.

2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  5. Gstclipse69

Gstclipse69 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2006
    Columbia, South Carolina
    No it wasn't really giving me much problem. It just didn't want to shift easily at 7-8k. I just pulled it because I'm swapping in a built bottom end. So I'd be alright to run an act street disk with this pressure plate right? Instead of the kevlar disk I have now.

601  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM