The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Operation "DSM Resurrection"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2004
D/FW, Texas
As some of you know, I've been busy lately resurrecting my GSX from the dead.... I bought her this summer non-running and neglected, and rescued her from a junkyard fate.

After lots of work, I finally got her running on Jan. 1. Yesterday I detailed her and took her out for her first "official" photoshoot.

She's coming along nicely....Compared to what she looked like when I got her, she looks (and runs) like a completely new car :rocks:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pay no attention to the half-cleaned exhaust manifold and half-polished valve cover. LOL. i have a new exhaust mani to install, and someday I will hopefully finish polishing the valve cover :p

Just thought I'd share

Parts replaced/maintained so far:

New ECU
New Fuel Pump + Rewire
New K+N Filter
NGK plugs and wires
Timing Belt/Drive belts
Replaced injectors
Replaced Fuel rail
Replaced FPR
New fuel filter
Removed, Cleaned and Resurfaced Fuel Tank
New ISC
Replaced ECT and Coolant Gauge Sending Unit
Cleaned and polished throttle body
New Throttle Body + Intake Manifold Gaskets
New Battery
Replaced all rubber fuel lines
Replaced most coolant lines
Replaced most vacuum lines
Fixed lots of misc. random scary wiring issues
New Autometer SportComp boost gauge
New JoeP MBC
A good Seafoam-ing
Changed/Flushed all fluids
Polished valve cover (started, unfinished due to laziness and sore muscles)
New Exhaust Manifold (have, but not installed yet)
Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani studs (ordered)
New Pop-up motors (have, not installed yet)
New hatch struts (have, not installed yet)
Re-install stock Fog Lamps (have, not installed yet)
Timing Belt + Exhaust Manifold Covers (have, not installed yet)

Total cost of parts (so far): $750.00 (approx)
Total cost of labor: $0.00 :cool:

Thanks to all who have donated their time, wisdom and encouragment so far (and to a select few local DSMers who have kindly donated some parts to the cause of seeing a dead DSM get on the road again)

I could write a series of Tech Articles on "How To Resurrect a Dead DSM" with all the work I have put into this beast so far. LOL

A couple of "before" pics for comparison:

She's almost ready to start modding.....woohooo.

Thanks guys :)
She has certainly been keeping me busy this winter, LOL.

It just hurt my heart to see another neglected DSM, so I had to do my part and "rescue" one of them.....What started as a weekend project has quickly turned into a full Restoration, though....I caught a bad case of the "While I'm In There" syndrome. haha.

Great work on the car so far, its coming along nicely, ive always wanted to buy a project 1g to go with my 2g gsx. And by the way, where did you get the " TURBO AWD" decals at? I kinda like that...

TooFastTooG said:
And by the way, where did you get the " TURBO AWD" decals at? I kinda like that...

Thanks. I had those made at a sign/vinyl shop, after learning that the dealership charged like $60.00 for replacement "GSX" badges :rolleyes:. I just used the Mitsubishi font to make it look less "ricey" ;)

Don't forget to drain you gas tank. ROFL

Good work Claire, I'm currently looking for a none running 1G Auto AWD for my girlfriend, I have save enough parts from my Talon to build another car. :rocks:

Looks good. Has come a long way since I last saw pics of it. Nice clean paint. That is something I need to decide on. A nice stock mitsu. color or some badass titanium pearl or something.

very nice, very clean, just a couple pointers.. the red/yellow and yellow wire's going to your battery.. run the properly and clean that mess up! shorten up and hide any vac lines you can.. get a strut tower bar ( i have a spare for sale cheap hint hint) get some black covers for the red knob's on the pop up head lights.

maybe think about a cruise control removal cable.. and some new inner fender splash guard's really clean up the look.. good job!

Claire,

That's one hell of a great job and you should be proud of how you've far you've come. As Bruce mentioned, drain the fuel tank, do a boost leak test, have Sparky recommend some solid plugs and then we'll talk about some custom chip mapping (sorry couldn't resist).

In any event, congrats and I can't wait to see her finished (like that'll ever happen),

Andy

wow, looks brand new, whomever had the car before you sure made it had a carwash though, the damned paint looks brand new! Biggups to you, I wish I had the time and facilities to start doing sometihing like that.

jott5555 said:
the red/yellow and yellow wire's going to your battery.. run the properly and clean that mess up!

Haha, I know. I accidentally cut the wire too long when I fused it. I had some clips holding it down to the battery which I removed when I was detailing her ;) I do need to cut that extra piece of wire, though.............:boring: Just lazy.

shorten up and hide any vac lines you can..

Waiting until I get her in solid running condition (which is basically now) to start tackling emissions stuff. My plan is to eliminate most of it.

get a strut tower bar ( i have a spare for sale cheap hint hint)

PM sent. :thumb:

get some black covers for the red knob's on the pop up head lights.

i have some complete working pop-up motors that are going in this week.

maybe think about a cruise control removal cable..

But I like my cruise control :(

and some new inner fender splash guard's

Replacing all of these when I install my upgraded sidemount. :thumb:

Thanks for the compliments everyone :rocks:

oldman said:
I'm currently looking for a none running 1G Auto AWD for my girlfriend

Your girlfriend can't drive stick, huh? :nono:

LOL

Whenever you find one, I'll probably have plenty of spare parts to donate to the cause....Don't forget to buy new spark plugs, do a boost leak test, and clean the gas tank when you find one!!!!!! ROFL

femmeDSM said:
Your girlfriend can't drive stick, huh? :nono:
You know, what do women know about driving a stick? :p She actually does but not my 2600, I just want something a little easier for her to get around with especially in the winter time so she would stop putting mileage on the G35. :cry: :shhh:

Good job car looks great maybe some new rims will ad to her appearance. Keep us posted when you start the mods!!

andymoraitis said:
Claire,

That's one hell of a great job and you should be proud of how you've far you've come. As Bruce mentioned, drain the fuel tank, do a boost leak test, have Sparky recommend some solid plugs and then we'll talk about some custom chip mapping (sorry couldn't resist).

In any event, congrats and I can't wait to see her finished (like that'll ever happen),

Andy

Thanks Andy ;) I have a horror story for Damien.....When I bought the car..................

It didn't have any spark plugs in it !!!!! OMG

dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn

LOL

My goal is to have it ready to start adding mods and Dyno tuning by late March/early April. So far, I'm on schedule :)

oldman said:
You know, what do women know about driving a stick? :p

Plenty LOL ;)

I just want something a little easier for her to get around with especially in the winter time so she would stop putting mileage on the G35. :cry: :shhh:

How do you like the G35? I've been thinking of getting one as my daily driver.......It's one of the, like, 12 cars I've narrowed it down to, LOL. I have a problem picking out cars....there are just so damn many of them to choose from........

coving21 said:
Good job car looks great maybe some new rims will ad to her appearance. Keep us posted when you start the mods!!

Yeah, I've got my eye on some gunmetal ADR Competitions on ebay. The stock rims aren't really doing it for me, either. LOL. :thumb:

Looks great Claire! You got yours driving before me. :cry: Oh well, my goal is shootout. Plenty of time. Keep up the good work and keep us updated!

drewbird91 said:
That is freaking sweet. Nice job. Did you share how much you got it for?

Including towing fees, I paid about $1,200.00 total for the car. 80,xxx miles on chassis, 9,xxx on complete engine rebuild, exterior in near mint condition, garaged most of her life. Bought her from a kid who was fed up with constant problems....Turned out she just needed a little "TLC".

JDNSBR said:
Looks great Claire! You got yours driving before me. :cry: Oh well, my goal is shootout. Plenty of time. Keep up the good work and keep us updated!

Haha. Good luck with yours....At least you've got a lot of parts at your disposal....I wish I lived near Slowboy...I'd be over there every day bugging you guys, LOL.

Shootout '06 would be awesome, but I don't want to put the miles on her. Perhaps I'll trailer her up there............*hmmmmmm*

looks real clean. i like the turbo awd decals. perhaps post some pictures of what the car looked like b4 you started restoring? awesome work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back