The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoloBuild

Probationary Member
3
0
Sep 18, 2026
Salt Lake, Utah
So I just got a 98 GST and previous owner said had no compression cause oil gauge wasn’t working but I got it fired up and took the valve cover off is it suppose to spray oil straight up on the drive side of the head those two extra little holes? But the rest of the head is getting oil as it should but just learning as I go never owned this kinda vehicle
 
So I just got a 98 GST and previous owner said had no compression cause oil gauge wasn’t working but I got it fired up and took the valve cover off is it suppose to spray oil straight up on the drive side of the head those two extra little holes? But the rest of the head is getting oil as it should but just learning as I go never owned this kinda vehicle
If someone was selling me a vehicle saying there is no compression because the oil gauge is not working, I'll probably punch the straight in the nose.

Just use a manual pressure gauge to verify oil pressure. Use a compression gauge to verify compression. There should be visible oil film around cam lobes when the engine is running. No crazy pressures, with oil squirting and flying everywhere
 
I just don’t know much on these cars but always wanted one so now trying to figure everything out and I did that to make sure it was getting oil up top but was confused cause those two holes near the gears was a straight shot up with oil and I don’t see no wire on the oil sensors by the filter
 
So I just got a 98 GST and previous owner said had no compression cause oil gauge wasn’t working but I got it fired up and took the valve cover off is it suppose to spray oil straight up on the drive side of the head those two extra little holes? But the rest of the head is getting oil as it should but just learning as I go never owned this kinda vehicle
Yes that is normal. There are two small holes closest to the cam gears.
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 2g 2g AWD auto trans case
    2g AWD auto trans case. No broken bolts or stripped threads. Bead blasted case will look new...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 2g 2g GST auto trans case
    2g auto trans case. With bearing plate and end case covers. Good condition. Trans was like...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • Wanted 2g 2g radiator support
    Im looking for a radiator support if anyone has one
    • Fundsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 3 inch Magnaflow SS high flow cat. CA approved.
    3 inch Magnaflow stainless cat. High flow. 18.25 inches. Flange holes are 4 1/8 center. Has...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 4G63 Race parts.
    Brand new seal in box Kigglys HLA 175$Kigglys 12 tooth billet crankshaft triggel setup 250$...
    • GST2012GSX
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top