1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Oil pump seized

Posted by 503oneG, Oct 1, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 503oneG

503oneG Probationary Member

Joined Sep 25, 2020
    Beaverton, Oregon
    So I tore down my block last night and found #2 rod welded to the crank. During inspection I noticed the oil pump was extremely hard to turn. This car is new to me, I have new short block with a good crank but What I’m wondering, is it possible that the balance shaft delete kit caused the oil pump to fail? I’m debating keeping balance shafts on this new block

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2020
  2. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    If it used the delete stubby shaft without the oiling groove, then it absolutely could cause the oil pump to seize. The cheap aftermarket stubby shafts don’t have the oiling groove. OEM does. Search on here to find the visual difference

176  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2006
    Clarksburg, West Virginia
    race_bs_pic[1].JPG Awhile back it was a popular thing to have the oil pump balance shaft turned in a lathe to remove the counterweight portion but retain the long shaft. This was done in order to support the pump better -as opposed to having a stubby shaft with much less rotational inertia.

With aftermarket parts of questionable quality being used for bs deletes, I think this might become popular again.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020

2K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  11

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Supporting Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Does the b/s delete really equate to significant performance gains? Or is this presumed on some theory, and now everyone who wants to go fast proceeds with this rather simple mod? I’m honestly asking, since this seems like a hugely popular item. Frankly I love how smooth the 4g63 runs in stock form. I’ve owned 4-cyl motorcycles and cars, and they all had a certain amount of characteristic harshness (especially Subaru), except my eclipse, which has a similar sound, but not the harsh feel. I would not sacrifice that unless the power jump were sizable, and the longevity left intact.

Street Build 610  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    The balance shafts are not eliminated for power gains at all, they are eliminated to eliminate balance shaft bearing failure and subsequent engine failure.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Mech Addict likes this.
  6. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Correct, but I'd say it's more to delete the balance shaft belt, less so for the bearings, but that is one less failure point.

I am a fan of the cut down OEM shafts as @delta448 posted, but on the past couple engines I've used oem shafts cut down to just the stubs and had no issues.

Most of the issue with balance shaft eliminations are the non-grooved stub shaft and improper timing belt tension (too tight).

Street Build 979  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

905  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Mech Addict likes this.
  7. 503oneG

Joined Sep 25, 2020
    Beaverton, Oregon
    isnt the timing belt tensioned via tensioner?

8. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Yes

176  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    You can still get it too tight. Thats why there is a measurement.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. 503oneG

Joined Sep 25, 2020
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Thanks for all the input.

Dericsh likes this.