The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oil pressure gauge sensor questions [merged] oil sender

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinracing

Probationary Member
Nov 13, 2002
nor_cal
All oil sender threads are merged here.

going down the road today i noticed my oil pressure gauge was reading nothing or zero depending on how you look at it..on my stock gauge..

i immediatly pulled over to check my oil and found that it and the rest of my car was fine..its still running fine and everything so i came home to check vfaq.com and it said that my sensor could be the culprit..

so my question is there a website or link to a page that will show my hw to check my sensor??? and or replace what is needed to read my oil pressure... or shuold i just say #### it and get a aftermarket gauge right now because its more accurate anyways?..

yeah im new around here so go easy on me..but i didnt think this was a dumb question or anything so thats why i put it here..

yea i already looked there, i see no price or a way to order...

is there a way to wire the stock sender to use it?

and I also got a phantom boost gauge, but the tube was cut short to 6" or less. where can i find new tubing that I can use, and where can I get the T fitting.

napkinthief said:
is there a way to wire the stock sender to use it?

No..

napkinthief said:
I also got a phantom boost gauge, but the tube was cut short to 6" or less. where can i find new tubing that I can use

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the proper female to barb fitting for the gauge, then go to autozone and get that size vaccum hose.

napkinthief said:
where can I get the T fitting.

While you're at autozone, that is where you can pick up the Tee's(Just get an assorted box, they will come in handy.

I was at loews today, they only go down to 1/8 inner diameter on the barbs, i need 1/8 outer because the tube is 1/8 inner

would it be a problem if I 'converted' the 1/8 to a 1/4, because than I can get the 1/4 > 1/8 inner and fit a 1/4 tube over it

Forget the hose that comes with the gauge.

Get a 1/8 FEMALE(threaded on the inside) fitting, that on the other side is a barb fitting. Then get rubber vacuum hose that will fit tight over the barb, and then tee a vacuum source and slide the other end of the new hose for the gauge over the extra nipple.

I just got the autometer electric oil pressure gauge. When i went to install it last night, I took off the old oil pressure sender and tried for a good 45mins to get the new sender screwed on. For some reason it just does not want to screw on. I am at a loss at the moment and it is really frusterating. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

guitarhero14 said:
I just got the autometer electric oil pressure gauge. When i went to install it last night, I took off the old oil pressure sender and tried for a good 45mins to get the new sender screwed on. For some reason it just does not want to screw on. I am at a loss at the moment and it is really frusterating. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

You need an adapter for the oil pressure sending unit. Most of the people that sell gauge usually forget to mention that to you. You need something like this (the first product on that page):

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...ch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=38&y=11

That may not be the exact fitting that you need but it at leasts gives you an idea of what you are looking for. You can give summit a call and tell them exactly what you are trying to do and they should be able to give you the right part number. It doesn't matter how long you try with that sending unit though, it will never screw in there properly.

I bought it from Slowboy, i figured it would come with all the parts needed. I will see if I can find this adapter somewhere in town, if not I will just have to order it. Thank you very much!

guitarhero14 said:
I just got the autometer electric oil pressure gauge. When i went to install it last night, I took off the old oil pressure sender and tried for a good 45mins to get the new sender screwed on. For some reason it just does not want to screw on.
When you say it won't screw in, does that mean that it catches the threads and will start to screw in but then suddenly stops? Or is it not going in at all?

I had the same problem. Carefully inspect the thread on the sending unit. My first ring of threading was spaced to close to the second and needed to be filed down. After that it worked fine.

Save your self some time and money and remote mount your sending unit. Autometer sending units are known to fail do to vibration. Remote mounting helps with this and leaves the sending unit much less likely to fail. Use this kit, I did, it's very easy and comes with all you need. I mounted my sending unit by my power steering fluid container.

Type ATM-3224 into the search at the top of the page.
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...ch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=38&y=11

I don't know WTF you guys are talking about. Any pressure sending unit I've ever seen is 1/8 NPT, which is the same as the stock sending unit. However, as we all know, NPT is a tapered thread, meaning the diameter of the thread changes because it is designed to seal on the threads. In order to get your sender to fit in, you'll have to run a 1/8 NPT tap a little further into the housing to 'bore' it out a bit. Don't screw the sender in too tight or you'll crack the housing and don't use any sealant on the threads either, as your sender probably has to ground through the housing.

jepherz said:
I don't know WTF you guys are talking about. Any pressure sending unit I've ever seen is 1/8 NPT, which is the same as the stock sending unit.

Actually the OEM oil pressure sender is a 1/8 Brittish pipe thread. There's just enough difference between the two that in order to do it right you need an adapter. However, some people just screw the NPT version in with out problems. IMO, just do it right.

I got my adapter from Egauges.com
http://egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=BSP_Adapter_Bushings&Cart=

edit: added link

Shane2GSX said:
Save your self some time and money and remote mount your sending unit. Autometer sending units are known to fail do to vibration. Remote mounting helps with this and leaves the sending unit much less likely to fail. Use this kit, I did, it's very easy and comes with all you need. I mounted my sending unit by my power steering fluid container.

I used this kit to remote mount my sender
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185873

Okay, my oil pressure sensor cable came off after I hit a cardboard box the other day. I replaced the broken clips, but when I went to plug the wires back in, I got two wires and I got no idea where they go. If anyone have a 91-92 DSM can u help a brother out?

Jackson said:
Okay, my oil pressure sensor cable came off after I hit a cardboard box the other day. I replaced the broken clips, but when I went to plug the wires back in, I got two wires and I got no idea where they go. If anyone have a 91-92 DSM can u help a brother out?

One wire goes to your oil pressure sender and the other goes to you oil pressure switch.

Try this, using a probe type test light connected to ground and the key on 1 wire will cause the light to glow and possibley pulse. Look at your oil pressure gauge, after a minute or less it will be at full scale or very nearly there. This is the wire for the sender. Turn the key off.

With the test light connected to the positive battery + (may require an extension wire) probe the 2 units near the oil filter. One will glow, the other will do nothing, the one that lights is the sending unit for the gauge. With the car running the the other unit should now have a completed circuit and light the bulb. This is the pressure switch.

Let us know what you find and if that doesn't solve the problem.

Cheers,
GTM

Okay, I got sensor all reconnected but I can't find where the sender is :S I looked in my techinical service manual and I didn't see in the diagram there where the "sender" is.

Thanks man. So there is an extra wire that i am missing, now the wiring makes more sense with available components ;)

Jackson said:
Thanks man. So there is an extra wire that i am missing, now the wiring makes more sense with available components ;)

I'm now confused, do you have all the correct wires and have located the sender and sensor???

Cheers,
GTM

The reasons nothing made sense to me was that there was no male lead on the sender and the section of wire form the bottom connector to the sender was missing. I am going to have to fabricat something up with some speaker leads and heat shrink it together. Thanks again guys.

Jackson said:
I am going to have to fabricat something up with some speaker leads and heat shrink it together. Thanks again guys.

Ok. Just be glad it wasn't a ladder and you on a motorcycle... Still a cardboard box shouldn't be able to cause so much grief.

Cheers,
GTM

At 140 kph ( about 90 mph) anything can rip off a tiny wire and cause minor damage like that. Its just some plugged in wires but I don't think mine had a tie wrap like the picture provided. Trust me my new wire will have that "feature".

So the oil pressure sender on the oil filter housing backed itself out of its hole. Its the one on the front of the housing. I need to know if an aftermarket gauge would come with the fitting to fill the void, and which one. My other gauges are Autometer C2, would one of them work? Electrical or mechanical?

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back