The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil pan to ground clearence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBDdsmer610

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2006
easton, Pennsylvania
Ok guys so i am currently in process of a 1g awd build right now. I know that lubrication is always a problem in any engine. and it seems in alot of cases the the oil gets to the topend faster than it gets to the bottom. Well i am looking for some pan to ground clearences. My machinest offered to extend my stock pan 1 inch and add baffeling and trap doors so thats there is always oil for the pickup. He said in some cases u can gain up to 2 quarts just by adding an inch in some cases. im just currious with the clearence b/c i kno with the awd's there is always an issue with having a bigger pan and clearances with he t-case, exhaust, and crossmember, and getting things to fit right.

The stock pan has been plenty sufficient for many people. With the stock volume pump you aren't going to run the pan dry at any point.

Agreed, I know a lot of heavily modified cars that run stock pans.

You're going to run into fuel sloshing problems long before you ever run into oiling problems with stock equipment. I do 1.7 60' launches, all the time, and oil pressure always has been rock solid. I've also had the whole car (all four tires) sliding sideways on dry pavement, and never lost oil pressure. The fuel tank on the other hand, will run the pump dry if you make a hard left turn with less than a half tank.

You're probably thinking, " What's that got to do with me?" but I run a stock 1g AWD fuel tank too. I ended up building a swirl pot so I could auto-X without an almost full tank of gas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back