The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Oil in only 1 exhaust runner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdouglas89

Proven Member
Jul 8, 2013
Davenport, Iowa
Looking for any kind of feedback here. Working on a new car. Was smoking pretty good before I took the chinese turbo off. Valve cover was for sure leaking / has cracks, so I'm assuming the spark plug gasket could also be bad. When I noticed the smoking, I immediately thought of turbo, so I purchased an oem 16g. When I took exhaust manifold off, I noticed the 4th runner was black with oil, while the rest just had carbon build up. I could not see any oil ontop of the valves while looking through the runners.

I'm really hoping valve seals aren't leaking, and just hoping it was the turbo, but oil buildup in only 1 runner makes me suspicious.

Guides or oil rings. Anytime I buy a boneyard motor, I ask them to pull the exhaust manifold(s) and the plugs. If any have oily residue, I go to the next motor. I would expect more than 1 cylinder to have bad valve guides if they are going bad. Don't want to give bad news, just putting facts out there to ponder on and hoping for the best of any bad news.

I'm gonna agree with the above guy. You could do spark plug gaskets and valve cover gasket, see if that was the problem. You know oil leaking from another simple fix location.
I'd hate to just tell you, what I assume. So try the simple fix first, fingers crossed for ya.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back