The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil coming out of bov

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoolN

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2003
Coventry, Rhode_Island
I have the hks blow off valve and I noticed today that oil is coming out of my bov, what could this be.

oil coming out of the BOV??????LOL odd. you must be getting extreme amounts of blow by oil, thats the only thing i can think of.

Do you have a catchcan? If not, maybe its the oil coming from the valve cover that goes into the intake? That is really the only way it could get to the BOV (I think). I wouldn't worry about it tho, but if its bothering you then get a catchcan.

No i dont have a catch can i thought it was blow buy the reason it is pissin me off is becuase im loosing oil becuase of it, are there any links or anything for installing a catchcan.

Its coming from the valve cover tube next to the CAS. My whole intake was nasty with oil. I put a breather filter on it and wipe it down every few weeks. Would be a good idea to clean the intercooler too. If there is that much oil in there, its reducing the intercooler's effectiveness by 30% or more. Just use gasolene, and shake the crap out of it. I did it 5 times till I got clear gas pouring out. Then flushed it with water for 5 mins, then put a blow dryer in one end till it was dry. It really made the car faster.

Originally posted by SpoolN
No i dont have a catch can i thought it was blow buy the reason it is pissin me off is becuase im loosing oil becuase of it, are there any links or anything for installing a catchcan.

Heres the VFAQ on catchcans (for 2Gs) http://www.tgilmore.com/talon/catchcan.html

Heres the how-to for the nicer GReddy catchcan (never tried either method so I cant comment) http://www.roadraceengineering.com/instructions/greddycatchcan.htm

My buddy has a GReddy catchcan and he likes it, but I think the cheapo VFAQ method would work just as well.

One thing tho - if you do buy the catchcan, you will still loose oil, but the oil will end up in the catchcan, not in your intake.

yea i figured that i would still loose oil but at least it will be in a catch can and not all over my engine,

Also how much gas should i poor into the intercooler at one time.

Here is the procedure (copied from a VFAQ that no longer works):

Tools Needed:
Wheel Jack
8, 10, 12 mm sockets
6" socket extension bar
screwdriver (flat & philips)
1 gal. of gasoline (some prefer rubbing alcohol here)

Procedure:

1. Jack front passenger side up and remove wheel
2. You should see splash shield on the front side of the wheel well
3. Remove the plastic screws and 2 bolts (10 mm) holding on splash shield. You should now see the intercooler.
4. Remove the rubber hose on bottom of intercooler (intake hose) coming from the turbo
5. Remove the rubber hose on top of intercooler (outlet hose) running to the left (standing in front of car facing it) of the air filter heading to the TB
6. Remove 1 more plastic screw on bottom of intercooler, and 3 bolts (12 mm) holding the intercooler to car. 2 of these are accessed from the splash shield side, the other is in front of intercooler running next to the air ducting going to the front of the intercooler.
7. Remove Intercooler and clean off bugs, straighten any bent fins, etc.
8. Take some gas and pour it into the intercooler. Cup your hand over the outlets and shake. Pour out gasoline (the first time it should come out flat black...oil film). Repeat until gas comes out relatively clean (note: Some people use rubbing alcohol at this step because of the inherent danger in using gasoline).
9. Let intercooler dry thoroughly
10. Installation is reverse of removal

So about a gallon I guess.

You dont need a jack. I did it just by turning the wheel to the left. Unless you car is lowered. After all the bolts were off (one is a PITA to get off) and IC hoses off, it slid right out the back. I used about a gallon I guess. The plastic bag in one opening works great. Use a trash bag. And let the gas roll smoothley back and forth the first and last few times. It gets all in the core if you do it that way, if you just shake it it gets the end tanks. As far as how much at one time, only about 1/2 of the end tank full.

you should NOT be loosing enough oil out of the breather to notice in the oil level. You may have a leaking center cartridge on the turbo. Or serious compression problems with the motor.

Maybe you should do a compression check, then if you get good results check the turbo next.

Originally posted by crankbender
you should NOT be loosing enough oil out of the breather to notice in the oil level. You may have a leaking center cartridge on the turbo. Or serious compression problems with the motor.

Agreed, your oil level should not be lowering just from blowby. Check your turbo/motor.

Yea they are right about loosing oil. I think its normal that its coming out your BOV, hell you prolly have 9 years worth of oil sitting in your intake piping. Install that catchcan and clean out your intake piping and intercooler. Then figure out why your loosing oil, does your exhaust smoke under boost? If so turbo seals are shot, time for a new turbo.

I used that three dollar fuel filter works great, and i just cleaned my intercooler just letting it dry right now. thanks for the help:thumb:

yeah, stick a fuel filter inline with the blow by line and see if it gets full of oil fast and thatll be one way to tel lif its the blow by or not:thumb: Ive had a fuel filter inline on the blow by for months and you cant even tell its old, still looks new......in case that tells you anything.

make sure your pvc system is working good if you are building up too much pressure in you crankcase it is going to force it out of the air inlet tube, thus going into your intake and out your bov. Beside pvc are about 10 bucks and it is consider maintance every 50k or so.

Originally posted by J92EGSX
make sure your pvc system is working good if you are building up too much pressure in you crankcase it is going to force it out of the air inlet tube, thus going into your intake and out your bov. Beside pvc are about 10 bucks and it is consider maintance every 50k or so.

pcv.....

After I cleaned my intercooler I used alchahol, Now there is white smoke coming out of my exhuast when im in boost what could it be,

after I cleaned my intercooler with alchahol, i now have white smoke coming out of my exhuast when under boost what could it be

i had a compression test done about a month ago and it was fine, My engine is a jasper engine about 3000 miles old, and i just put a new turbo on about 3 months ago so i dont think it is that, where is the pcv valve and how would i check it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back