The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

oil catch can. please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spic21

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2010
albany, Louisiana
sorry to make another post about oil catch can, but ive been researching for well over a day and im just confusing myself more and more. i thought all i needed to do was buy a catch can(was just gonna get an aluminum catch can off ebay) run both hose off VC to it and done. but now the more i read the more confused im getting. i see post about pcv, check valve, that i need bigger lines tapped into the valve cover, and stuff about baffles and venting. my freakin heads gonna explode, i know it shouldnt be this hard.:banghead: i dont mine spending a little money to make it work and look good. ill fab whatever i have to, but can someone please tell me what i need to do and get? all my mods in profile are up to date. can someone please help. and i love pics!

on a side note to Moderator, i have been doing a lot of work to my car and have taken lots of pic along the way. if u look at my mods list youll see what ive done. i was wondering were i would start a post for all these pics with alittle write up on each, i think it would be very beneficial, especially to all the newbies like me. i also wouldnt mind if someone edit it to make it more understandable, as im severe dyslexic, great with my hand but reading comp and writing not so much. but not to loose focus lets talk oil catch can.:)

I use a two catch can setup on mine and it's been working good for me.
My setup is exactly like the following one, except I'm not using the second line going to the topside of the valve cover. (this is just an extra line added in and is not needed IMO) On mine I just have two lines running from the valve cover. One to each catch can. And instead of the line going to the intake pipe, I have that line going to a breather filter to atmosphere. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/304629-oil-catch-can-install.html
Besides the two catch cans you would need a factory pcv valve (if you don't already have one) and this pcv valve from usplastics. 3/8" Kynar® Standard Check Valves | U.S. Plastic Corp.
You need to have a good check valve like the usplastics one between your intake manifold and your valve cover to help check off the boost pressure when boosting so that it doesn't pressurize your crankcase causing bad things like blowing the dipstick out of the tube and blowing oil all over your engine bay. The oem pcv valves have been known to leak (allow boost back into crankcase) with low miles or even brand new, but you should run an oem valve AND the usplastics one too. That should be all you need to do it right. Just follow the picture and you will be good to go. And like I said you really don't need to add the extra line to the valve cover or go with bigger lines IMHO unless you are running a large frame turbo pushing some serious airflow. Good luck and hope this helps and doesn't cause more confusion.:)

I use a two catch can setup on mine and it's been working good for me.
My setup is exactly like the following one, except I'm not using the second line going to the topside of the valve cover. (this is just an extra line added in and is not needed IMO) On mine I just have two lines running from the valve cover. One to each catch can. And instead of the line going to the intake pipe, I have that line going to a breather filter to atmosphere. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/304629-oil-catch-can-install.html
Besides the two catch cans you would need a factory pcv valve (if you don't already have one) and this pcv valve from usplastics. 3/8" Kynar® Standard Check Valves | U.S. Plastic Corp.
You need to have a good check valve like the usplastics one between your intake manifold and your valve cover to help check off the boost pressure when boosting so that it doesn't pressurize your crankcase causing bad things like blowing the dipstick out of the tube and blowing oil all over your engine bay. The oem pcv valves have been known to leak (allow boost back into crankcase) with low miles or even brand new, but you should run an oem valve AND the usplastics one too. That should be all you need to do it right. Just follow the picture and you will be good to go. And like I said you really don't need to add the extra line to the valve cover or go with bigger lines IMHO unless you are running a large frame turbo pushing some serious airflow. Good luck and hope this helps and doesn't cause more confusion.:)

can u recommend catch cans to use. i was looking at some on ebay but i read that most of them are not what i want. i just found this thread so it help some to http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html

and at first i didnt think i had pcv but i just wasnt thinking right i was thinking about those plastic job they put on other cars. i do i that nipple coming of back of intake which now im seeing is pcv

Yep, looks like the same thing. That should work just fine.:thumb:

ok let me run this by ya to make sure i got all my ducks in a row. then im ordering now. cant look at catch cans anymore today.

im going from IM to check valve then to OUT of can one. then from IN of can one to PCV.

then from VC to IN on can two. then OUT can two to intake.

ok let me run this by ya to make sure i got all my ducks in a row. then im ordering now. cant look at catch cans anymore today.

im going from IM to check valve then to OUT of can one. then from IN of can one to PCV.

then from VC to IN on can two. then OUT can two to intake.

You've got it my friend.:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back