The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink O2 is cycling, but still stuck in open loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90 TSI FWD

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2004
Columbus, Mississippi
So I just swapped out my KeyDiver chip for V3. Before the swap, it ran great. No boost leaks or anything like that. Ran pretty strong, but a tad lean, so I got V3 and ditched the SAFC (I was adding +20 to keep WOT AFR's in the mid 11's).

I attached a few logs showing the front O2 cycling, but still stuck in open loop. Why am I stuck in open loop? I can't figure it out. Because the O2 is cycling, and I'm stuck in open loop, I'm getting an idle surge. This didn't happen before putting the chip in, so I believe something is not set correctly. I do have a CE code. I checked the wires at the MAF sensor, and they were fine. I will be switching to SD soon, but in the meantime, I would like to get out of open loop. My car runs great with the other chip in, so I don't see why the code would affect my issue at the moment.

You'll notice a few flat lines in the cycle. This is because I was slightly giving it throttle to keep a steady AFR on the UEGO. Might as well take advantage of the open loop, right? So I spent about three hours trying to get the linear wideband to match my gauge. I gotta say it sucks! I'm able to get it accurate from around 10.9 to 13.0 where it matters, so I'm going to leave it at that until I get gas and fix this open loop issues. If you have any suggestions, please reply! Thanks!

Attachments

• Initial Startup.elg
    88.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Initial Startup 2.elg
    70.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Initial Startup 3.elg
    210.8 KB · Views: 64
The only thing i can see is that your MAFRaw signal looks a little strange. The value never changes. Do you have a cruise log? Or even just a log similar to the ones posted, but free rev the engine a few times.

I clipped out to the part where I drove around the block so the file was small enough to upload.

Attachments

• First Idle.elg
    80.4 KB · Views: 66
Does anyone have ideas/suggestions? I'm going to swap chips again tomorrow to see if the problem goes away to ensure that it's a setting on link, rather than something wrong with the car.

For starters- your TPS is adjusted wrong. It should be .63v at idle. You're at .51v.

Second, you're not warm enough to even get into closed loop. I can't remember the exact temp (like 180F?) but you definitely weren't warm enough.

3rd- Your airflowperrev is off a bit as well. Looks like you just need to do some tweaking. Start out getting that TPS adjusted properly and go from there.

I had the TPS adjusted this way before with no problems, but I did change it and the idle surge just increased in speed. Also, I'm sure I was warm enough. Where do you see I'm not? I drove the car around and burned at least a gallon of gas. Temps were 183-190ish.

I would like to adjust the airflowperrev, but I'm pretty sure I need to be in closed loop.. or use closed loop information at least.

Thanks for the reply!

Edit:
I got a response on the link forums that may have solved this issue. My brother installed the SAFC maybe 6 or 7 years ago before he gave me the car. I called him and asked, but he didn't remember much about the wiring he did. I read in another thread of someone unplugging their SAFC and tucking away, so I assumed it was all spliced. I should have looked at the wiring to the ECU, but it was so tight and wrapped in there that I just unplugged the SAFC and tucked the wiring away. I'm going to pick up more solder and reconnect the air flow signal to the ECU. I'm hoping this will solve all the issues. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• Initial Startup 7.elg
    366.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back