The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

no more chrome

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok guys i need to know how to get chrome off of the 5 spoke gst wheels. Im not really a fan of chrome on a DSM so I want to paint mine but they are chrome. What could i use to get the chrome off because its pretty thick. I was thinking the paint stripper wheel would work but i have no idea, does anyone have any ideas or has done a job of this sort:idontknow:

Aircraft remover. It does work.

I believe I have the same rims as you, and I took a hand sander to them and got them looking nice before I painted them.

a hand sander and aircraft remover?? Hmm. Ok i will check these things out, what about something that could be used with a drill. I Ask because it could be done faster IMO, and thats what i prefer. My hands already take a beating with no gloves, PS3 and working in the cold.

Well you could always try sandblasting but you dont wanna damage the rim itself. Im sure it could be done with sandpaper but that would take forever. Also ive heard of people having success with acetone but im not 100% on that.

Just be careful if you use the aircraft remover, it WILL eat skin. (Ask me how I know)

A sandblaster would actually be ideal, but if you don't have one on hand it won't be worth spending the money to get it sand blasted unless you are going absolute show car quality, in which case you probably wouldn't be using the stockers for wheels.

Well you could always try sandblasting but you dont wanna damage the rim itself. Im sure it could be done with sandpaper but that would take forever. Also ive heard of people having success with acetone but im not 100% on that.

yea i dnt know about acetone thats good for sticker residue or a great substitute for goo gone. Well i just got the rims fixed they were bent from hell and back so theres some dings im going to have to grind out, and my original plan was to paint them. Its a thick layer of Chrome its very tough and on all the rims its starting to peel at the mitsu emblem in the middle, so i can kinda peel some of the chrome, but dont wanna do a half ass job

My friend's GST spyder has the chrome peeling too.... it cuts my hands all up every time I take the wheels off. :mad:

My friend's GST spyder has the chrome peeling too.... it cuts my hands all up every time I take the wheels off. :mad:

I dont blame you man i have a few nicks on mine too from those bastards. I'll probably start at the peeling and sand them out...im going to need some goodys powder after that..GOD im going to hate it:notgood:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back