The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

No Gears. Grinds when clutch is depressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bNasty

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chantilly, Virginia
As title says i have no gears. I can freely shift into the gears but nothing happens. Heres the story, I was at a stop sign and i shift into first, as i let the clutch out i hear a thud, and then nothing. the car just rolls. I can shift into the gears but nothing happens. When i push the clutch in there is a nasty grinding noise, it gets worse if i shift it into gear. What do you guys think?

Pretty sure your TOB failed catastrophically, or you blew out something in your clutch, more than likely your springs.

Is everything bolted up tight? All the bolts are holding in the trans? Does the transmission move when you push in the clutch (well have a friend push it in)

I'm sure this is clutch/tob related, as issues with the transmission internals usually make noise with the clutch OUT.

So, car on, can you put it in a gear WITHOUT the clutch?

Pretty sure your TOB failed catastrophically, or you blew out something in your clutch, more than likely your springs.

Is everything bolted up tight? All the bolts are holding in the trans? Does the transmission move when you push in the clutch (well have a friend push it in)

I'm sure this is clutch/tob related, as issues with the transmission internals usually make noise with the clutch OUT.

So, car on, can you put it in a gear WITHOUT the clutch?

resolved the problem. I have an ACT 4 puck unsprung and the splines in the disc have completely sheared off.

time for a new clutch i guess

Heres a normal ACT street disc that i have laying around just for reference
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And heres my ACT 4 puck unsprung

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back