The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Newbie with his first DSM.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdoboi

Probationary Member
Apr 8, 2015
West Bend, Wisconsin
Hey guys, i'm new to the DSM scene and i've got my scopes on a DSM (2g Eclipse with a 420a) for extremely cheap. It has a snapped timing belt, which he already has the replacement for, and he claims it needs a new head because of the timing belt being snapped. Would that actually cause that problem? It wouldn't matter if it did, i've already found a used head to slap on it until i would start hitting the power route in my hopeful build. If I were to get that used head, wouldn't I have to get it resurfaced and same with the block? Is there anything that I should look out for when I am buying the car?

Even IF you did buy it and rebuilt the motor it still wouldn't ever make the same power per dollar as a GST or GSX. Plus you couldn't easily (Probably not at all unless you have great fabrication skills) convert it to AWD later like you could with a GST if you want to go that route.

You get the car for 300, you have to build the head/block already from the start. You could possibly build the motor for 1k if you get lucky with parts from CL that are new but were never installed, which yes it does happen but you aren't likely going to find that outside of the 4g63T parts. Second hand 420a parts for REAL performance aren't as easy to come by.

If you get a GST or GSX you can instantly have a motor that will make that kind of power. You have a much greater selection of aftermarket parts and better ones as well. You might spend more to buy into the car but the overall amount you spend on it will be roughly the same. You also have the ability to buy amazing pure bolt on parts that will be hard as hell to beat with the 420a and you probably wouldn't be able to find anything better to be completely honest.

This car MIGHT sound like a great deal but honestly it's not. You could find a turbo model for nearly the same amount if it's not running as well.

For example, my friend sold his old GST with a motor rebuild kit for 500 because it had a spun rod bearing. That was after a couple of months of having it on CL.

Also don't buy a "turbo kit". Those are almost always overpriced shit. I mean sure, you could possibly find one that isn't but most likely it wont ever happen. Plus a great deal of them use Chinese turbos that fail in as little as 200 miles. You'll hear a lot of bullshit about how people get 20-30k miles off them but no, you aren't going to. Especially if you are pushing the turbo you aren't going to get shit for miles off it.

Buy that car. Put that head on it. Make it run. Sell it for 1000$. Don't know how much the new used head was. But 300$ car + the used head= profit when it runs..... And buy one with a 4g63 in it if you want to make power. I Garrenty your kick your self if u dump money into it tht your never get back when you sell it to get a gsx....

I will buy anything I can make a buck on, if you like it buy it fix drive till you save enough to get a gsx plus you should be able to make a good chunk selling this car. My first DSM was a 1g non turbo for $90 it just needed ecu, I liked it so much I went and got a tsi since then I have had over a dozen turbo and made money on every one.

Well after a sleeping on the decision and reading more replies, and watching YouTube videos, i've came to my consensus. I won't build the 420a, if i buy the car, i'll flip it. Because i'm seeing quarter mile times and launches with GSXs and AWD TSis and was amazed. So if i were to shop for parts where's the best place for some quality parts? Also, the Treadstone turbo kit seemed pretty nice, all namniceme brand parts, (Turbonetics, HKS, GReddy), but why am i talking about 420a parts. Goodbye 420a hello 4G63. :)

I had a 420a for my first DSM. Didn't have it long, but loved it. Not sure if it is 5 speed or auto, but u said the body is in great shape? If you really want a DSM and your willing to part with 300 + the new head, your probably sub 1k for sure. A good looking 420 sells for 2500 around here. If u want to sell it to profit you can do that, or have a clean looking 2g as a DD. Then get what you want in do time. :idontknow:

If my first 2ga wasn't mangled by a drunk driver, I would still be driving that thing. But it was hit the day I got done with the paint at step dad's shop. :cry:

They all look good to me, they don't have to be fast. But if u want fast go 4G63:thumb:

Good night guys. And good luck to OP

We'll I didn't see your last post. But again good luck

I forgot to add that in my last "update", if this guy ever responds, i'll buy it, fix it, and turn a profit. More money=closer to awd 4g63 :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back