1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G New trans/Clutch issues

Posted by Mielo5280, Oct 30, 2020

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Mielo5280

Mielo5280 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 29, 2019
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    Helping my friend put a new trans in his 97 gst and we're stuck on the clutch adjustment.
    A lil back story.
    When he got the car, a week after owning it, the shift fork in the trans broke. When we pulled the trans to drop a new/used on in, we found the PO installed a stage 3 Cc clutch and the master cylinder was leaking. We put a new "power torque" oe replacement cluch, a replacement master from a friend, a new slave cylinder, a new TOB and a SS clutch line. Didn't shim or replace the pivot ball or the clutch fork.

Now our problem is adjusting and bleeding the clutch. We used the Eat Sleep DSM guide on bleeding the clutch, and Jacks video on adjusting it. When we get it to a point where it feels like its good, it end up feeling like the pressure plate binds up just before it disengages. After we went on a drive and got back, the trans would grind going into any gear and felt like the clutch un-adjusted itself.

At the bottom of the pedal the clutch needs more pressure to disengage. That's what I mean by the pressure plate feels like it binds up. We had things to do, so we didn't mess with it after that. I'm just looking for things to try before I pull the trans again and replace the pivot ball along with the flywheel since I'm sure we should have in the first place.

Street Build 225  3

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. mantega4g63

mantega4g63 Proven Member

Joined Apr 15, 2012
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Could be pivot ball/clutch fork like you're thinking, mine had a similar issue with engagement and it was my clutch fork being so old that the pivot ball almost wore all the way through it. See if you can determine how much play you are having in the fork. i also had a noname 6puck unsprung clutch and shitty mods done, I imagine that helped eat away the fork

Showcar Build 11K  23

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Mielo5280 likes this.
  3. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Yes, know that the clutch fork is the thing that usually wears down (where it rides on the pivot ball, so make sure you put a dab of grease there), not the pivot ball wearing down.

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
    mantega4g63 likes this.